Koons still at it with mark ups...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet w/in 2 weeks all 4 of them will be gone... Remember we screamed bloody ****** in 21 when someone asked 5k over 80K for a not missing anything loaded vehicle. Stomped our feet and said, "I won't pay it" "It will never stand, they will be 10K below sticker in a year!" Well, here we are...Those people don't look so dumb now... and are enjoying a vehicle not missing any chips...
There are far more choices for the consumer today than there were in 2021:
- Ford did not update their Expedition until 2022
- Stellantis didn't produce the Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer at the time (or the Wagoneer L/Grand Wagoneer L for that matter)
- Toyota Sequoia wasn't updated

There's a bit of confirmation bias at play here as well.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are far more choices for the consumer today than there were in 2021:
- Ford did not update their Expedition until 2022
- Stellantis didn't produce the Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer at the time (or the Wagoneer L/Grand Wagoneer L for that matter)
- Toyota Sequoia wasn't updated

There's a bit of confirmation bias at play here as well.
Well there is…but…I just remember post after post after post after post saying just wait a year and the market will be flooded with them and we will all be paying 10k off the sticker…..
No big deal… rant over….

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well there is…but…I just remember post after post after post after post saying just wait a year and the market will be flooded with them and we will all be paying 10k off the sticker…..
No big deal… rant over….
I will admit, you're right. It's a bit of a moving target.

It's like saying, "Just wait, the stock market will fall." It's a true statement - but without a correct time, the statement means little.

Supply chains have taken longer to recover than most people had estimated. And even if they do recover, we may not see that effect in the retail market until 3+ months later.

I think we have to see 22Q3 and 22Q4 sales results before we are more confident in whatever we think is happening.

I think the 2023 MY will be a significant recovery year. Once we get into the 2024 MY, we'll have inventory on dealer lots for MSRP or below.

Toasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I complain but at the same time I am looking at trading in our 2021 Tahoe premier for a Yukon xl ultimate at gms if the allocation gets accepted (doubtful). And this is only because I expect to get what I paid for my Tahoe a year and half ago, which in a normal market wouldn’t happen. So it works both ways, but I think $20k over is a bit much.
You're not likely to come out even on your 21. Trade in prices are dropping, will be even more so if you have to wait for your Ultimate

OP
OP
Banks22

Banks22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're not likely to come out even on your 21. Trade in prices are dropping, will be even more so if you have to wait for your Ultimate
I’ve been wondering, msrp was $79k, I got gms so after tax was like $76k. It’s almost paid off so I figured to be happy if I got $70k...? Guess we will see....

suterusu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
People seem to forget what the S in MSRP stands for.

While I hate markups of any type (if you think these cute little Denali markups are crazy, you should see the six figure markups in Porsche land), people are quick to forget the DECADES of the consumer beating up dealerships for huge discounts. I don't blame them for trying to make some money back, not to mention volumes are WAY down, so they are probably still making less money even with these markups.

ashabug

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Koons ALWAYS has markups, even before it was "popular". They are in the DMV area and when we moved up here we were warned to only test drive cars in the area, but to drive up to PA or over to WV to actually purchase a car. I am not even a little surprised they took their typical $5k markup and upped it even more during these times.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Koons ALWAYS has markups, even before it was "popular". They are in the DMV area and when we moved up here we were warned to only test drive cars in the area, but to drive up to PA or over to WV to actually purchase a car. I am not even a little surprised they took their typical $5k markup and upped it even more during these times.
That’s not necessarily true. When I was a member of the Jeep forum, we used to do group buys with Koons and get 5 to 7% below invoice if we ordered 10+ vehicles in a group at a time. Many members would come across country to pick up their vehicle at a great discount that they couldn’t get locally.

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think there are quite a few Koons dealerships. Koons Jeep/Ram in VA is well known for very competitive pricing. Koons in Clarksville, MD is overpriced.
That’s not necessarily true. When I was a member of the Jeep forum, we used to do group buys with Koons and get 5 to 7% below invoice if we ordered 10+ vehicles in a group at a time. Many members would come across country to pick up their vehicle at a great discount that they couldn’t get locally.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia