Knocking noise from steering column

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

calpharo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey All,

New member here, but have been reading lots of threads over the last several months. I have a 2015 Denali that I picked up in July 2015. It has about 3000 miles on it so far and have been loving it (even with the six-speed ;) ).

Anyways, about a week ago I noticed a knocking noise coming from the steering column area that was getting progressively worse. It is when the steering wheel is turned from the 11 o'clock to 1 o'clock positions. I took it into the dealer and they decided to order a new steering column. I am taking it back in tomorrow to have the part replaced. Anyone else have a similar noise?

Thanks

OP
OP
C

calpharo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update: So my dealer (Norm Reeves GMC in Irvine) has had the car for a week as of today....they are claiming that replacing the steering column replacement is labor intensive. So total time that the car has been in for this particular issue is 9 days and counting (including diagnosis of the problem). (Although they promised that I would get the car last week). Fortunately, I have a 2015 Yukon XL SLT as my rental, but still frustrating. I am starting to keep tabs of how many days in the shop because it is potentially going to turn into a lemon law issue here :/

Reels

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sucks. Hopefully they get it squared away for you.

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
just FYI, I believe book time on replacing a column is like 6 hours, meaning a good tech could do it in 1/3 of that.

broncophil

Reaction score
maybe they are being extremely careful. wasnt there another denali here that had an issue with something getting pinched in the column that shut off during freeway driving?

on a side note, can you pm me if you got a good deal?

i'm in OC very near irvine.

Thanks.

mbd2015LTZ

Reaction score
Since about two weeks after I got my Tahoe, I got a rubbing/ grinding noise periodically that sometimes also made it tough to turn the wheel. Of course it never happened for the dealer, so no fix was done. Finally earlier this week, I drove it over and it finally did it for the tech. Dropped it today and am told I also need a replacement steering column, which is currently on backorder. GM doesn't want me driving it until it's replaced, I do have a 2015 Chevy Tahoe LT, but it's not mine...hope this won't take long to get. We shall see.

mbd2015LTZ

Reaction score
All set, my dealer called me to pick it up and all is well. No more rubbing/ grinding noise and the part (steering column) came much sooner than anticipated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomase1269

Latest posts