Keys locked in car

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I was surprisingly able to lock my keys in my car the other day. I used the OnStar app - I don't think you need a subscription for the keyfob commands to work. I let my subscription lapse and those commands still work for me. I tried them just now.

chicagofan00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct, you get the bare bones features free for the first five years which includes using the fob commands on the app and the monthly status report on the truck.

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those of us that don't have/ don't want onstar...

I keep my ignition key on a separate little quick-disconnect key ring from my fob and other keys. Then, I just leave the key in the ignition, grab the others, lock the doors and do my thing. I have had older cars with alarms that would automatically lock the doors once the ignition was on. This mostly happened in the driveway but was still a pain. It was also great for warming things up without the risk someone else driving away with my vehicle.

TxChevyz71

Reaction score
Once when I locked my keys in my truck. I was stuck in the middle of BFE hunting. I'm talking a pretty remote place. It would have been miles walking distance from the nearest town. It would take someone a long time to find me, if they could.... I do not have AAA. (AAA would have been useless in this situation) And my subscription with Onstar was long gone.

I actually called Onstar and they were nice enough to help me. They unlocked my truck as a courtesy.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once when I locked my keys in my truck. I was stuck in the middle of BFE hunting. I'm talking a pretty remote place. It would have been miles walking distance from the nearest town. It would take someone a long time to find me, if they could.... I do not have AAA. (AAA would have been useless in this situation) And my subscription with Onstar was long gone.

I actually called Onstar and they were nice enough to help me. They unlocked my truck as a courtesy.

Funny, i was thinking same, my wifes cousins came up to ny from tx and locked keys in their suburban, i called onstar because my truck still had it and they took the vin of the suburban and unlocked it.

PWMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I keep a magnetic box hidden under my truck with a spare in case i get locked out or lose the key.

rjrdomer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
On all my cars, I hide a magnetic key somewhere. Tougher to do on newer unibody cars, but I find a way. I haven't done it on the new Tahoe as they only gave me 2 of those fancy keyless keys.

Does anyone know if I can take out the metal emergency key part and have a basic key cut out of it? Or is that just impossible? On my wife's last car, I hid the valet key. The new Tahoe didn't even come with one of those.