Keyless entry issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill-H

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2003 Tahoe LT.
So, I bought this Tahoe @ 2 months ago. Fixed all the "standard issues" (steering, shocks, intake gasket, cleaned throttle body, tune up). Now I am on to the "Niceities".
When I got the truck, it came with 2 key fobs. Both would lock the truck, neither unlocked it. Replaced the batteries, no luck.
Went through the "learn procedure" and 1 fob seemed to work after that, although the procedure didn't act right.

When I hold the unlock button on the door and cycle the ignition, the locks cycle before I release the lock button. And, when i hold the lock and unlock on the remote. the locks never cycle.
Again, I was able to get 1 remote to unlock and lock the doors. But after a time (@ a week) it stops unlocking the doors again. Both remotes will still lock the doors every time.

Any suggestions, Diagnostic procedures, help???

Bill-H

Toyfare

Reaction score
Look on the driver's side dash fuse box. There are two large black relays. One controls the locking and the other the unlocking. Swap the two and you should be able to unlock but not lock. They are a cheap replacement ($15 for two on eBay.)

OP
OP
B

Bill-H

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Look on the driver's side dash fuse box. There are two large black relays. One controls the locking and the other the unlocking. Swap the two and you should be able to unlock but not lock. They are a cheap replacement ($15 for two on eBay.)

TY, I'll try that.

Update, when I went out to swap the relays, the unlock was working again.
I swapped them anyway and will see what happens.

Bill

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bill-H

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Latest info.

I swapped the relays as recommended above. Everything worked fine until this morning.

Unlock does not work with the remote, lock works.
The doors do unlock via the key in the door and the unlock button on the inside.

Any other ideas?

Bill

OP
OP
B

Bill-H

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Try opening your key fob, removing the circuit board and rubber, and cleaning the contact points with rubbing alcohol.

Cleaned the contacts yesterday (TY). So far, so good.

Will report back if it stays working.

Jamo

Reaction score
Hi...
Just joined the forum and I've been having the same problems. New batt's helped one fob for a couple days, the other is still dead. I just tried the rubbing alcohol and swapped the relays (the upper had a bit of corrosion on two contacts). One fob working again, the other still dead.

My other problem with this is that both keys work the ignition, neither key will open the door lock. Simplest solution would probably be to install a new door lock & carry an extra key (or hide one on the Tahoe) for when the fob dies again.

Thanks...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz