Key fob acting up!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NASTY GM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Help! My key fob works when I exit my truck and lock the doors. When I return the key fob doesn't work (unlock or lock). When I put the key in the door and unlock the door it works again :wtf:

viximaging

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my shit does it to and its brand new.. I changed the battery twice and nothing.. I may try to reprogram it tomorrow

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
I say pull the battery for the truck for like 20 minutes, then reinsert and see if it continues....

Conor

"Bob's your Uncle"
Reaction score
If you re program it you should be able to fix it. Mine did that once, and a re program fixed it.
Does your other fob do that as well?

OP
OP
NASTY GM

NASTY GM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you re program it you should be able to fix it. Mine did that once, and a re program fixed it.
Does your other fob do that as well?

I tried to reprogram but it didn't work. I lost my other fob :whymewhyme:

badtothe bone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it is still under warranty, take it back to the Chevrolet Garage and have it fixed. It isn't hard to do.

It tells you right in the owners manual how to reprogram the fob's. You just stand next to the passengers side door with the doors locked and you press both buttons on the top of the fob at the same time and hold them down and you will hear the doors unlock and then lock again.

Disconnecting the battery wire does nothing to the Power Train Control Module - nor the Body Control Module. That is 1980's technology.

The BCM is flashed with a Tech II

Most joe blow garages do not have a Tech II because they cost a lot of money and you still have to have access to the GM web site to download the uploads for the Tech II. So your best bet is to go to the Chevrolet Garage and have it serviced.

If you find that your Fob's are bad, the last 8 digits of the Vin tells the dealer what the codes are for the Fob's. If you find the right codes, I will sell you two brand new Fob's for $100

The reprogramming fee should only be $20 at the dealership.

Thats what I pay for it and so that is what you would probably have to pay for that service, if the BCM needs to be reflashed for the new Fob's.

OP
OP
NASTY GM

NASTY GM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It tells you right in the owners manual how to reprogram the fob's. You just stand next to the passengers side door with the doors locked and you press both buttons on the top of the fob at the same time and hold them down and you will hear the doors unlock and then lock again.

If you find that your Fob's are bad, the last 8 digits of the Vin tells the dealer what the codes are for the Fob's. If you find the right codes, I will sell you two brand new Fob's for $100

The reprogramming fee should only be $20 at the dealership.

Thats what I pay for it and so that is what you would probably have to pay for that service, if the BCM needs to be reflashed for the new Fob's.

Thanks, I tried what you recommend and no luck. The owners manual says to program it through the DIC. I did this and it worked according to the manual. Again when I exit my truck the key fob locks and unlocks the doors for about 5-10 seconds, then stops working. If I put the key in the door the fob starts working again. When I'm in my truck the fob works. For some reason when I exit it's like it forgets :Insane:

$20? I can't imagine the dealer doing anything for that price :shakehead:

viximaging

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh your problem is different then mine. My fob locks my truck anytime.. The problem is my unlock doesnt want to work. every now and then it does.. Sux

01yukonslt

need more deebeeeez!
Reaction score
i had the same problem with two diff key fobs.. the solder job where the battery is held in isnt the greatest and if you arent really careful replacing the battery it will break i had to resolder both of them and they both worked after that.

OP
OP
NASTY GM

NASTY GM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a brand new remote and I still have the same problem :flame:
I guess it has something to do with the programing of the Yukon itself? I guess I'll ask the dealer what it is or just purchase an aftermarket alarm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia