Kenwood Head Unit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shaw520

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After install of my Kenwood Head Unit (DDX395) I have a 'sound mute' issue,.. the blue/yellow wire from the Interface (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Radio-Bose-Onstar-Interface-Wiring-Harness-for-2000-up-GM-Chevrolet-Pontiac/401270090475?fits=Year:2004|Make:Chevrolet|Model:Tahoe&epid=672965322&hash=item5d6d8faaeb:g:HpUAAOSwWktaePJs&vxp=mtr) is for steering wheel controls which are working fine, as is every other factory function, so the interface is obviously doing its job and working correctly,...now,.. along with the Blue/Yellow wire for the steering wheel controls, there was a black cable coming from the interface that had a micro jack on the end, the instructions that came with the interface suggested that this was also for the steering wheel cont (SWC). But,.. Im getting a sound mute situation that can only be eliminated by activating the on-star button on the SWC.... once activated and shut off,..the sound from the head unit returns. SOOO,.... my question here is; is it typically JUST the Blue/Yellow wire required for SWC,..or is the black cable/micro-jack required as well ? I do not subscribe to OnStar so therefore have no use for those controls. TY

SirReal63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For a Kenwood, only the Blue/Yellow wire is used for SWC, the mini jack is for other brands of stereos.

OP
OP
Shaw520

Shaw520

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aha!.
Ill try unplugging it,..thank you.

SirReal63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aha!.
Ill try unplugging it,..thank you.

I wrapped the plug with tape to keep it from grounding out on anything. There should also be a turn switch to select the correct brand, on the Pac rp5-gm11 you turn it to 3 for Kenwood. I did not pull up the instructions for your exact one though.

OP
OP
Shaw520

Shaw520

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Success!... Unplugged the micro jack, left the blue/yellow conected,..all functions are good. My micro jack came w a rubber boot so no tape needed. Thank you for the help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alejo2160