K5L cooling fans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BrainDead

Reaction score
does anybody know how many more cfm's the HD cooling fans pull over the stock, and is it worth upgrading to them?

I tow about 6500 lbs up mountain grades with lots of slowing for turns and want to keep it cool. I'm already contemplating a mishimoto rad, just wondering if theses are worth the money too?

And I already purchased a tru-cool 40k tranny cooler, those things work great!

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
does anybody know how many more cfm's the HD cooling fans pull over the stock, and is it worth upgrading to them?

I tow about 6500 lbs up mountain grades with lots of slowing for turns and want to keep it cool. I'm already contemplating a mishimoto rad, just wondering if theses are worth the money too?

And I already purchased a tru-cool 40k tranny cooler, those things work great!

One of the other members here installed the higher wattage fans... I want to say it was @Doubeleive but I might be wrong... if not maybe @swathdiver can remember who it was.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I added the k5l dual 9 blade fans/dual 700w motors, the one I bought used came out of a hummer then I put in brand new motors, i'm not sure how much more cfm it makes but you def hear the fans when it kicks into high speed mode, I also added the tru-cool 40k and a B&M deep transmission pan.
previous to doing this I would always see 200-220 deg on transmission almost always (2012 L94 6.2l awd 6l80e)
after install I have to really beat on it to hit 180 in the summer
typically driving around normal it runs 135-165 now
I wouldn't think twice about doing it again, def helps
I am in the process of doing the same to the Silverado in my sig, the B&M pan takes about 3 months to get they are always on backorder, I ordered it at the beginning of Nov, it will be here Tuesday Feb 4

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when you add the tru-cool don't forget to move the ambient temp sensor, if it sits behind the tru-cool your temp sensor will tell you it's 150deg outside.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Have not been able to determine what the CFMs are for either fan motor or setup. The regular fan motors are 500 watts each and the K5L motors are 700 watts each. If you're towing 6500 pounds up in the mountains, definitely upgrade them! Get the bigger radiator but make sure it has the restrictor in place to the surge tank or the truck will not heat up. Also, consider adding the engine oil cooler to the radiator. K5L standard also has a power steering cooler as well.

Is your truck RWD and what motor is in it? Pulling that much weight regularly, you might want to keep an eye out for the AXN rear axle, this is the 9.5" AAM/Saginaw 14-Bolt semi-floater which will bolt right up if you get one from a RWD Denali or Escalade. A Tru-Trac center chunk would work too.

OP
OP
B

BrainDead

Reaction score
I added the k5l dual 9 blade fans/dual 700w motors, the one I bought used came out of a hummer then I put in brand new motors, i'm not sure how much more cfm it makes but you def hear the fans when it kicks into high speed mode, I also added the tru-cool 40k and a B&M deep transmission pan.
previous to doing this I would always see 200-220 deg on transmission almost always (2012 L94 6.2l awd 6l80e)
after install I have to really beat on it to hit 180 in the summer
typically driving around normal it runs 135-165 now
I wouldn't think twice about doing it again, def helps
I am in the process of doing the same to the Silverado in my sig, the B&M pan takes about 3 months to get they are always on backorder, I ordered it at the beginning of Nov, it will be here Tuesday Feb 4

I'm not sure about the deeper pan, I love the idea for the drain plug but doesn't help much with heat. I put deeper pans on both my 01 2500 6.0L and my 02 3500 duramax with inline temp gauges and there wasn't any drop in cooling temps until I installed the tru cool on the 2500. I don't beat on my trucks, but they are kinda heavy, esp. when towing up steep grades with a lot of acceleration and braking mixed in, plus I'm a firm believer in the cooler the better, so that's why I was asking about the fans. Would you recommend the fan upgrade or the mishimoto rad? There's a $300 difference and I know that's cheaper than a new engine but I would rather put that money toward a blackbear tune.

OP
OP
B

BrainDead

Reaction score
Have not been able to determine what the CFMs are for either fan motor or setup. The regular fan motors are 500 watts each and the K5L motors are 700 watts each. If you're towing 6500 pounds up in the mountains, definitely upgrade them! Get the bigger radiator but make sure it has the restrictor in place to the surge tank or the truck will not heat up. Also, consider adding the engine oil cooler to the radiator. K5L standard also has a power steering cooler as well.

Is your truck RWD and what motor is in it? Pulling that much weight regularly, you might want to keep an eye out for the AXN rear axle, this is the 9.5" AAM/Saginaw 14-Bolt semi-floater which will bolt right up if you get one from a RWD Denali or Escalade. A Tru-Trac center chunk would work too.

Restrictor for the surge tank, never heard of that, can you explain more. If I upgrade the rad it would be a mishimoto which has both tranny and oil cooling. I can throw an aftermarket PS cooler on later if necessary.

The truck is an 07 escalade 2wd with the 6.2. Not sure how people are blowing out there rear ends with regular towing unless really romping on it, but I learn something new everyday

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the deeper pan, I love the idea for the drain plug but doesn't help much with heat. I put deeper pans on both my 01 2500 6.0L and my 02 3500 duramax with inline temp gauges and there wasn't any drop in cooling temps until I installed the tru cool on the 2500. I don't beat on my trucks, but they are kinda heavy, esp. when towing up steep grades with a lot of acceleration and braking mixed in, plus I'm a firm believer in the cooler the better, so that's why I was asking about the fans. Would you recommend the fan upgrade or the mishimoto rad? There's a $300 difference and I know that's cheaper than a new engine but I would rather put that money toward a blackbear tune.
Fans and the tru cool will work, I am sure the Mishimoto radiator is great but I have read reports that it didn't make any difference, I didn't see much or any temp differences with the pan alone, but 2 extra quarts of fluid has to have some benefit.
with the combination of all 3 I have a very noticeable difference.
this last summer in July I was up at 8000 feet, ambient temp was around 70deg and driving up a grade (wasn't towing) but I was driving about 90 for a good long while (crossing the Sierra's from California to Nevada, it crest's about 8500 feet, 1500 feet higher than Donner pass), transmission temp didn't budge stayed 165, engine temp went up about 15 deg so I backed off to about 65-70 and engine temp went back to normal, so I think it's a pretty solid investment. that was the one and only time the engine temp ever went up I chock most of that up to the elevation, that and I was pushing it pretty hard.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Restrictor for the surge tank, never heard of that, can you explain more. If I upgrade the rad it would be a mishimoto which has both tranny and oil cooling. I can throw an aftermarket PS cooler on later if necessary.

The truck is an 07 escalade 2wd with the 6.2. Not sure how people are blowing out there rear ends with regular towing unless really romping on it, but I learn something new everyday
if you get the heavy duty oem radiator or a good brand name there is no concern about the restrictor, some people have had problems using the ultra cheapy aftermarket radiators and they don't have a choke in the flow back to the overlfow tank so the coolant just keep flowing and causes either insufficient cooling or heating.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you get the heavy duty oem radiator or a good brand name there is no concern about the restrictor, some people have had problems using the ultra cheapy aftermarket radiators and they don't have a choke in the flow back to the overlfow tank so the coolant just keep flowing and causes either insufficient cooling or heating.
I bought this one from 1800radiator because it is 1/4" thicker, has both engine oil and trans cooler

raddd.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Speardog