Just got my side moldings done

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J3FFz128

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
BUT only on one side...JESUS CHRIST it took so long. Used the goo gone/ 100% cotton towel technique and took me 6+ hours ON ONE SIDE. I'm guessing it's because my yukon is so old, maybe from all the heat the rubber has melted to the side... but anyways i'm still debating whether i want to take off the other side.. doesn't seem worth it after all the trouble i went through

T3rry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol, you cant leave just one side, that would look so ghetto

i did mine the hard way too, took me the better part of a couple weeks working on it for a bit every day... a lot of people said they got a 3m eraser wheel, it's n attachment for your drill, and they say it makes it a 1000 time easier.

3MStripeOffWheel.jpg

ROBERTOcritser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how did it take you so long? I got mine ripped off in like an hour maybe 2 for both... what kind of moldings did you have? the black vinyl shit or the matching colored ones?
I had the black vinyls and me and my cousins just used fishing line to cut the rubber behind them a lil bit then pulled em till we could get both hands on them and pulled them all the way off then used my fingers to roll the black gooey stuff off. and i was cleanin it as i went down but I havent taken the time to REALLY clean it up. So now when its clean, you can see an imperfection down both sides were the molding spot looks a lil unfinished.

yooformula

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine were color matched and were a ***** to get off using goo gone. Spray the top edge with the adhesive remover and slowly pull back as you use a plastic scraper to cut the adhesive against the molding. After using some rubbing compound and cleaner/wax/polish, I dont have a shadow, line or scratch at all. this was my molding removal kit.
IMG_0120.sized.jpg

Last edited:

ROBERTOcritser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so are you tryin to keep from breaking them? cuz if that was me I would just be rippin and tearin till they were all off even if it was in a hundred pieces.... but thats just me cuz I know I wont ever puttem back on

OP
OP
J

J3FFz128

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Mine were the matching color ones. And i think since mine was old the rubber melted against the door. It was very hard to get off, rubbing it wouldn't have done a thing on mine :( It was hard rubber and took me a lot of goof off to get it off.

and no lol i don't want them on ever again also... i stuck a screwdriver in between it and basically pryed it off. made sure not to scratch the paint though. then once i got both hands behind the moldings i just pulled it off slowly, was a little tough

ROBERTOcritser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well get em off and post PICS. Any pictures are good even if they are mainly stock vehicles.

sschrader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if they used the same adhesive as on the badges, but you need to use a hair dryer or a heat gun, when I did my badges on the rear, there was little or no glue left on the body after heating them up, they pulled right off.

Sam Hamm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i used a pressure washer when getting the modlings off my escalade to get it repainted and worked very good. just put some goo gone or 3m adhesive remover on first to loosen it up and did work.