Just an LT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sport99

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello TYF!

I've been a long time lurker. I joined way back when I had a 99 2 door Tahoe sport (hence the screen name). Since then I've bounced around from an 02 Yukon XL, to a 95 Turbo Diesel 2 door, to an 04 Suburban Z71, and now I've settled into this 07 Tahoe LT. What originally started out as a search for an LTZ ultimately landed me on a truck that was equipped just the way I DIDN'T want it (Wrong trim level, wrong color). This 07 is a solid runner and it looked like it was waiting for someone to love it, so I accepted the challenge.

When I purchased the truck, it had a nasty vibration at highway speeds. 2 u joints later and problem solved. I then went on to install new pads and rotors front and rear. An air filter & oil change later and it was ready to call my own. I've also purchased spark plugs & oem wires. (I like to tune up as much as I can for piece of mind).

I started this thread to document the light build I've started. The pictures below show some of the mods I've done. I've learned a ton by lurking here, and wanted to share my progress. There is still more to come, as I am always impressed by the things I learn on this forum.

On to the pics!

When I first picked it up - unloved Silver Birch LT-2 - (if you look closely you can see the ugly pin stripe right above the faded body side moulding)
IMG_8734_zpsfbenzf4y.jpg

474db204-b0f1-4ec4-bc54-bfca7e9bb88f_zpsyersr8lk.jpg

Interior - (before)
IMG_8737_zpsklgh8nwc.jpg

IMG_8738_zpsjov5xnl8.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Sport99

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
First things first - Removed the pin strip and tinted the front windows. Now that body side moulding looks even worse!

IMG_9014_zps5b14dovg.jpg

OP
OP
S

Sport99

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Scored some OEM Brushed Metallic dash trim from a Sierra. I still need the front window switch trim as its different than the Tahoe, but hopefully I can find a set out of a Z71 Tahoe/Burban to make my power folding swap easier.

Before:
IMG_9068_zps7fnrsosw.jpg
IMG_9065_zpslfvoyqht.jpg
IMG_9063_zpshrauwaq2.jpg

During:
IMG_9070_zpsk4xdbvhz.jpg

After:
IMG_9069_zpsmtgzuewh.jpg
IMG_9072_zpswrktjjia.jpg
IMG_9075_zps9fzibp8e.jpg

OP
OP
S

Sport99

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've had it with the faded body side moldings. I couldn't decide if I wanted another set of painted moldings with our without the chrome strip. I searched countless pictures, and came across a member who had Escalade moldings put on his black LTZ Tahoe. The pic was small, but I liked it enough to source a complete set of brand new Escalade moldings. They weren't cheap, but they were worth it in my opinion.

crap faded moldings:

IMG_9276_zpsnw7iaacj.jpg

A little bit of masking tape, heat, patience & solvents:

IMG_9286_zps5thle2y0.jpg

IMG_9278_zpsl1wnrdrn.jpg

IMG_9279_zpsclnmugvk.jpg

IMG_9290_zpsrexg0lme.jpg

IMG_9279_zpsclnmugvk.jpg

Finally a difference! I used plastic razors to remove the glue left on the doors. I soaked a rag with brake parts cleaner and carefully saturated the remaining glue in it, which made it a lot easier to remove.

IMG_9282_zpsfkkxxp4x.jpg

OP
OP
S

Sport99

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Once I put on the Esky moldings I knew I needed to compliment them with a few more chrome pieces. I found the OEM GM chrome door handles and decided to install them. I decided to wet sand and buff my headlights and give the truck a bath. Its finally starting to look less LT-ish

IMG_9349_zpst5znww4p.jpg

IMG_9351_zpsquh5tj2n.jpg

OP
OP
S

Sport99

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
In my quest to rid the truck of the LT-ish look I knew I had to do something with those ugly roof rails. I was lucky enough to come across a for sale thread posted by JuniorSS. A ride out to long Island was well worth it to pick up some LT repellent.

IMG_9060_zps2uwxyggr.jpg

I sent the Escalade spoiler and rack caps out to get painted. The irony is that I really wanted a white truck, and now I had white parts. I sent them out to get painted, and they arrived back coated in Silver Birch. I couldn't wait to install them. I'm glad to report, the install was simple due to the info I found on this forum.

This:

IMG_9478_zpsg1fnuote.jpg

IMG_9480_zpsqbihugh2.jpg

Leads to this:

IMG_9481_zps0vho6snf.jpg

OP
OP
S

Sport99

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Current state of affairs:

Silver Birch LT-2 (leather, sunroof & bose)

Added the following:

Brushed Metallic dash trim
Escalade chrome door modlings
OEM GM chrome door handles
Escalade rear spoiler
Escalade roof rack

Future aspirations:

Lighting - as of right now my lighting game is weak HID's and LEDs front and rear are a must
Power folding mirrors. (I swapped them into my 02 yukon, and I've found its even easier on an 07)
SLP resonator delete
Tow hitch cover
nav / backup camera.
LTZ front grill
Heated seats and steering wheel

Two pics showing my current progress:

IMG_9482_zpssd0r0fnz.jpg

IMG_9483_zpsmugm1q1b.jpg

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking good man. Like the change out on the front dash trim. Looks nice.

Mine started as an LS. Just takes a little to get there.

Last edited:

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing at all wrong with an LT, and your ride is looking good. ;)

93blkongreenpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good so far!

What are you doing with the radio bezel trim?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tozer