JLT / OSC catch can question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

number9

Reaction score
Got one of these cans and the extension for our 2019 5.3 Tahoe. Need to put it on soon but have a question for those that have them.

From the pics I’ve seen, the hoses look to be routed right in the way of the oil fill cap. It’s enough of a hassle trying to keep a funnel in position while filling with oil. Don’t wanna be fighting hoses at the same time.

Do you all find the hose location to be an issue or are the pics I’ve seen misleading?
Has anyone replaced the hoses with longer ones for better routing?

91EF8679-1D95-46E0-92DE-021020A46628.jpeg

ReaperHWK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have your exact same setup. The hoses are far in front of the oil fill cap the picture is misleading. Never had an issue filling the oil. The can catches a ton of oil too. Definitely worth it on these DI engines.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I located my catch can on the front end of the motor, so interference with other parts is not an issue for me.

GranPrix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have your exact same setup. The hoses are far in front of the oil fill cap the picture is misleading. Never had an issue filling the oil. The can catches a ton of oil too. Definitely worth it on these DI engines.
Same here.

OP
OP
N

number9

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys, I’ll proceed with the install one day this week.

OP
OP
N

number9

Reaction score
Installed the catch can today, and as I feared, the hoses were right in the way of the oil cap. Not sure why others didn’t experience this, maybe their hoses were longer or something?

I flipped the bracket upside down to get the hoses a little lower but it still wasn’t enough. With the bracket installed with logo up, the hoses had to be pulled aside jut to get to the oil cap. I have the add-on extension which made it worse I think.

F683BB59-5352-4DC9-98A4-CBBEB44751F1.jpeg

I used 3/8” barbed brass couplers to extend the hoses and mounted the can at the opposite end of the fender brace, over the spare battery tray. This location seems like it will be much easier to service the can.

66F36988-AF38-49DB-99A7-D0B60BAC8CC8.jpeg

3F4C841D-9EE4-46D7-BB01-E3AF677C2E81.jpeg

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are operational now. Good job.

Remember to measure the amount of trapped oil and the amount of miles driven, so that you can get a benchmark on what to expect over time. Many of us log these numbers (ounces or oil per 1000 miles driven) to see if there are any significant changes over time.

markni12301

Reaction score
IMO this is a great place for it but for people in areas where temps get sub-zero would there be concern of this freezing in this location? Or is there concern for freezing no matter where it's located?

Thrust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have one on my F150 and the contents will freeze in subzero weather. BUT the Ecoboost creates a lot of condensation that the catch can filters out. Not so sure the GM motors have the same issue?

Hobert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have one on my F150 and the contents will freeze in subzero weather. BUT the Ecoboost creates a lot of condensation that the catch can filters out. Not so sure the GM motors have the same issue?
I mounted mine behind the radiator. Never has frozen in northern Illinois. it's posted somewhere in catchcan threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe