ISS issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been hearing this random noise only when turning the wheel almost full lock (parking in lots, pulling out of the driveway) going very slow, never heard it before until recently.

Googling around found that the intermediate steering shaft was an issue for the GMT800 platform and also saw it for our platform as well. But, I have not seen any info for the SUVs, only Silverado.

Has anyone else experienced this or had to replace there intermediate shaft?

Thanks

Reaction score
Is it like a groaning noise and only lasts for a second? Mine does the same thing every now and then when pulling in or out of a parking space or driveway, but I don't know what it is.

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since I'm not the best at explaining or recreating noises, I'm going to try and get a video of it happening haha.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At first I thought what the International Space Station had anything to do with the Tahoe.

Anyway, I suspect I also have an issue with the ISS. I feel a clicking sensation while steering slowly. I already replaced pretty much everything from the steering box to the wheels a few years ago. Is ISS a mere annoyance or something that needs to be fixed?

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Since I'm not the best at explaining or recreating noises, I'm going to try and get a video of it happening haha.

At first I thought what the International Space Station had anything to do with the Tahoe.

Anyway, I suspect I also have an issue with the ISS. I feel a clicking sensation while steering slowly. I already replaced pretty much everything from the steering box to the wheels a few years ago. Is ISS a mere annoyance or something that needs to be fixed?

The ISS is kind of a clunk feeling in your hands while turning at low speeds.

It is a mere annoyance, but can be remedied for about a year at a time by simply "exercising" it to redistribute the grease. I have done mine a couple of times.

I just disconnect the ISS from the lower shaft (1 bolt) and push the ISS in and out (or up and down?) towards the steering wheel about 100 times. Be sure to secure the wheel with the seatbelts so it doesn't spin on you. Takes me about 15 minutes and lasts for 9-12 months.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I came across this youtube video and it looks good. It actually looks like quite an easy repair done his way. Whether you use a Dorman or ACDelco, I guess that's up to you. I usually use ACDelco Professional parts because I've not had good luck with Dorman.

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How come I get some notifications but not all ?

I tried getting video but whenever I do, you can never hear it. Then it only seems to happen when taking a sharp right turn almost full lock to full lock. Like parking a parking lot.

Haha. I believe it is just an annoyance but I also think its the beginning point of a failure. Even though I've never seen or heard of any failing. I love the looks I get when turning haha, its so damn loud. I will say, it seems to only happen when turning right.

The ISS is kind of a clunk feeling in your hands while turning at low speeds.

It is a mere annoyance, but can be remedied for about a year at a time by simply "exercising" it to redistribute the grease. I have done mine a couple of times.

I just disconnect the ISS from the lower shaft (1 bolt) and push the ISS in and out (or up and down?) towards the steering wheel about 100 times. Be sure to secure the wheel with the seatbelts so it doesn't spin on you. Takes me about 15 minutes and lasts for 9-12 months.

I'll have to give that try to remedy this issue. Do you repack it with grease?

I came across this youtube video and it looks good. It actually looks like quite an easy repair done his way. Whether you use a Dorman or ACDelco, I guess that's up to you. I usually use ACDelco Professional parts because I've not had good luck with Dorman.

I think I may have seen that video.
Have you done this yet?
I'll try what HiHoe suggested and see what happens.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I'll have to give that try to remedy this issue. Do you repack it with grease?

I think I may have seen that video.
Have you done this yet?
I'll try what HiHoe suggested and see what happens.

I do not add any grease. I have seen guys who do. I also read that you need to be careful because the shaft is designed to collapse on frontal impact, so you if you jam it full of grease, you may catch a spear to the face in a collision. I'm sure the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did this to my burb last year after I got it. Felt like the power steering pump was going out. Pump was fine but I did as described here and it turned out super smooth again. I did take a can of the aerosol red and tacky grease and sprayed some into the shaft. I took the boot off too and hosed that down too and 'distributed' as others have described. No issues and I can't imagine it would be a problem in a crash.

Last edited:
OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After replacing my ISS way back when (I really don't remember when but, it was a while ago) the noise is back, yay.

The noise happens when turning close to full lock and full lock.

I'm determined to get a video of this noise this week/weekend to figure out what the heck it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan