inverting subs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MOBmentality

Has a $25,000 Punch
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Inverting a sub is free air flow. More air space = lower tuning. I am nuts and tune almost all of my subs to around 20, but free air flow would tune it to around 20- depending on the type of the subwoofer. Any note under 20 htz is what you can't hear. I wouldn't do it unless the specs specifically say that you can play them via free air flow. Otherwise your subwoofer will blow pretty damn quick...

no.. free air.. or infinite baffle.. means there isnt a box on EITHER side of the sub... like mounting a sub in the rear deck of a car... inverting a sub and bolting it back down into a box still makes it a boxed sub.. the sub doesnt case which side is which.. the only thing it changes is mount-ability and airspce

GeneralNoobzor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no.. free air.. or infinite baffle.. means there isnt a box on EITHER side of the sub... like mounting a sub in the rear deck of a car... inverting a sub and bolting it back down into a box still makes it a boxed sub.. the sub doesnt case which side is which.. the only thing it changes is mount-ability and airspce

Well that clears things up. I don't see the pros on inverting a sub then... Seems meaningless and it won't look as well if there is the same outcome. Build a regular box homie.

MOBmentality

Has a $25,000 Punch
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well that clears things up. I don't see the pros on inverting a sub then... Seems meaningless and it won't look as well if there is the same outcome. Build a regular box homie.

Yea.. the only time inverted subs make sense imo.. is if youre trying to show off the baskets on them.. for some reason.. or.. if you are doing like a show trunk in a car and want a super slim low profile box that wont allow for enough mounting depth to put the speaker in the hole.

Brandon X

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Inverted subs are just a way for people to be gay and try to impress people by having something different. They think "hey if I flip my subs over people will be like whooooaa thats cool wtf is that" and it gives them a lil ego boost.

Last edited:

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Inverting a sub is free air flow. More air space = lower tuning. I am nuts and tune almost all of my subs to around 20, but free air flow would tune it to around 20- depending on the type of the subwoofer. Any note under 20 htz is what you can't hear. I wouldn't do it unless the specs specifically say that you can play them via free air flow. Otherwise your subwoofer will blow pretty damn quick...
ever see a sub try to reproduce a 20hz note? Under any power, dont expect it to last long.

Inverted subs are just a way for people to be gay and try to impress people by having something different. They think "hey if I flip my subs over people will be like whooooaa thats cool wtf is that" and it gives them a lil ego boost.

done right, can look very nice! ( and no crappy wires)

Attachments

• Toyota_Tundra_Subs copy.jpg
    Toyota_Tundra_Subs copy.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 25

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chris709