Intermittent Start - SOLVED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
SnowBuck

SnowBuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be alot of things. Bad starter, corroded or loose battery cable at either end, bad ignition switch, bad or misadjusted safety switch at tranny (Park. neutral switch). Bad ground at the firewall or engine block, this guy can cause havoc on your BCM which just so happens to give the PCM the OK to start engine AFTER your passlock system tells the BCM you aint a thief.
I think you mean the ECM (Engine Control Module) ? Replaced it. Passlock system wouldn't let it start til I had the Dealer program it. Worked fine for a month, then back to intermittent start.

OP
OP
SnowBuck

SnowBuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By "no power to the starter" do you mean that the control circuit to the starter solenoid was missing the crank signal, or did you mean something else?

Starter solenoids can be intermittent.
Replaced the Starter solenoid.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you mean the ECM (Engine Control Module) ? Replaced it. Passlock system wouldn't let it start til I had the Dealer program it. Worked fine for a month, then back to intermittent start.
Uhh no, not in a 2000-2006. Its called a PCM (Powertrain Control Module) which controls the engine AND the transmission. And the BCM (Body Control Module) handles mostly interior lights, passlock and what not.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sounds like a electrical problem, if it worked fine a month after unplugging/plugging wires/battery/etc then I would disconnect those wires again and clean up the contacts and try again. even if the look ok, clean them anyway.

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As others have said, bidirectional scan tool would be quite helpful here. IIRC, cam position sensor could cause similar symptoms?

OP
OP
SnowBuck

SnowBuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing worse then "intermittent" problems. My final solution = install a Remote Start button under the dash !!!!

lyncht1967

Reaction score
as a test connect one end of a black jumper cable to batt negative and other end of black jumper cable to block somewhere and try cranking...if it starts you have a bad negative battery cable..common on these models. can do the same thing from batt pos to starter pos and try cranking..if it starts you have a bad positive battery cable. common issues on these models...i had the same issue a month ago and it was bad negative batt cable.

OP
OP
SnowBuck

SnowBuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GOT IT ! But - what IS IT ?!?!? While installing a new ignition switch, found this. When holding in Start and nothing...hitting this caused it to start. Looks like some sorta starter interrupt. Taking it out = full start! Has "6900A" on it.

Attachments

• IMG_2070.JPG
    IMG_2070.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 7

lyncht1967

Reaction score
Ahhh...yes...there's a variable isn't it. Looks like maybe an aftermarket remote start or alarm unit. Must not have been letting an ignition signal through. Great that it is out and now you're starting and running!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts