Intermediate steering shaft U-joint. Can you replace it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PNWYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone replaced only the tiny u-joint in the intermediate steering shaft? Where can you buy a little u-joint for it? Or have you repacked it successfully?

Byoung1330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone replaced only the tiny u-joint in the intermediate steering shaft? Where can you buy a little u-joint for it? Or have you repacked it successfully?
I think u have to buy the whole shaft. I replaced my whole upper one. But not the lower. If that’s what your talking bout. The joint that connects to the gear box

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
Why would you even want to try and do that its cheap enough to replace the whole shaft.Their is an updated one also if you have the original still on it.

OP
OP
PNWYukon

PNWYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think u have to buy the whole shaft. I replaced my whole upper one. But not the lower. If that’s what your talking bout. The joint that connects to the gear box
Yes, I see that is the standard. I was curious if anyone has tracked down the little u-joint and replaced it. It is the upper one just inside the firewall above the brake pedal.

OP
OP
PNWYukon

PNWYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why would you even want to try and do that its cheap enough to replace the whole shaft.Their is an updated one also if you have the original still on it.
Because, although a new one is $60 or so, it seems silly that you can't replace that little u-joint.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the u-joint is failed it is probably because the shaft isn't slipping like it is supposed to and therefore needs the whole shaft replaced. I can't see it being worth the effort either way.

OP
OP
PNWYukon

PNWYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turns out that the column bearing needed grease. Nothing wrong with the shaft or u-joint. That plastic bearing race and cage needs some kind of grease fitting! Anyway, greased it up and reinstalled it. No more clunk.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it have the updated green lower bearing or does it still have the white one?

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd get rid of that thing, it probably has play in it in addition to the noise it was making.