Interior Lighting in Rear Cargo Area

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uptown_nyc

Reaction score
Anyone have any suggestions for augmenting the lighting in the rear cargo area of a 2021 Tahoe? I find the built-in lighting well below a useful level and would like something to help illuminate the space when loading/unloading gear. I figure I can either get a portable lamp or maybe plug-in to the outlet back there with something that requires an outlet. Anyone else find the lighting back there dim?

CASTLEDFW15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven’t searched this cargo area on this model but I have used a LED light strip on previous sedans. TRhe bar works well because it was a easy installation and out of the way. I used thred ZipTies and a very small slit in the carpet on the back end of the parcel shelf. Easy wiring to the existing wires for the OEM trunk light……that was pretty weak too and a easy fix.

I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee prior to this and although the cargo area was marketed as LED. The bulb was atta to the lift gate. The problem with that is with the lift gate open the light was shining on the ground not the cargo area.

Assuming you could find a out of the way place to mount it that option could be very effective in cargo area lighting.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with your model year, but does it come stock with LED overhead lights? My 07 came with incandescent overhead bayonet-type bulbs, and the conversion to LEDs made a night and day difference.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any suggestions for augmenting the lighting in the rear cargo area of a 2021 Tahoe? I find the built-in lighting well below a useful level and would like something to help illuminate the space when loading/unloading gear. I figure I can either get a portable lamp or maybe plug-in to the outlet back there with something that requires an outlet. Anyone else find the lighting back there dim?

86E4C36A006E49179FF28524B9CEEAB1.jpg

Couple of these should do it! ;)

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with your model year, but does it come stock with LED overhead lights? My 07 came with incandescent overhead bayonet-type bulbs, and the conversion to LEDs made a night and day difference.
the new trucks have led but it's a single led light not interchangeable, the light output it's almost useless, even my 18 silverado has them, for instance it has some inside the inner door handles and unless you lean forward towards the steering wheel and look back you can't even see them light up anything at all when you sit back in your seat it's like there is no light on at all pitch black. there not much brighter than the back lights in the switches

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The led overhead lights in these vehicles is pretty pathetic. They really don't illuminate anything inside our yukon and the color of them is terrible. I'd take the bright yellowish lighting of our old '11 burb any day over these blue leds

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my'05 Yukon, ... my puddle lights were useless. So I removed the lenses & polished the 'mat finish' plastic to a clear. Besides the LED replacement, the clear made it much brighter.
Maybe polish the cargo lenses to a clear?

CASTLEDFW15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Brooklyn Lantern….Classic…..almost as good as the adapter cord a few years ago that could put a old timey handset to your iPhone…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518