Integrated Trailer Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mikef

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 2011 and 2015 Yukon XL Denali's they both have integrated built in trailer brake modules. I am getting ready to order a 2016 Yukon XL Denali but I can't tell if they come with the integrated trailer brake module. I can't find an option to add it on the GMC build website. Does it come standard on the 2016 or is there an option somewhere to add it on? Thank you.

Yukon John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have it on my 2016 Yukon with Max Tow package. It is part of the package. You also get the 3:42 Posi and the heavier brakes/suspension components. All of this for $450 !!

When I found mine the option was not listed for Denali...only SLT/SLE. A good sales team can probably force order it on a Denali...they just have to be willing to dig through the RPO list to check the correct options.

I wanted the 6.2 that the Denali gets you but went for the 5.3 SLE with Max Tow...gives me 8500# tow...I had custom Katzskin Factory leather added for $2K. I got the factory 20" rims and if I swapped the grille and badges with a Denali 90% of the public would not know the difference.

ATTACH]

I moved from a 2005 Escalade ESV with 6.0 LQ-9 and trailer towing package. I pull a 7500# 255 Formula Liberator and will attest that the 5.3 Direct Injection ,with the 6 speed and the 3:42 gears does a better job of towing my rig than the Escalade did !! I got out the door A-Z for $50K cash!!

Attachments

• 2016Yukon_zpsyp33sgxn.jpg
    2016Yukon_zpsyp33sgxn.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 0
OP
OP
M

Mikef

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the response. I just found out today hat the integrated trailer break module comes standard on the Denali.

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hate to tangent this out...but on my 2015 Denali xl...how would I know if I have said max tow package? I have the trailer brake... What other hint would let me know if I don't have the sticker any more...

Also, what are these heavier duty suspension and brakes you mention?

Yukon John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at the rear shocks to see if they are air/load leveling type. Check your glove box door for option code Z85 or Z88...not sure which is HD Trailering..or get the original window sticker from the selling dealer and check it.

I broke this down a few months ago when I got mine and found that that the springs, shocks and brakes were heavier also.

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far on the email from the dealer when we were searching has this:

* GXG - IRIDIUM METALLIC
* H2X - JET BLACK PREMIUM LEATHER INTERIOR ( SHARP & RICH COLOR COMBINATION )
* ATN - 2ND ROW POWER RETRACTABLE CAPTAIN'S CHAIRS (2,2,3 SEATING CONFIGURATION)
* L86 - 6.2L ECOTECH3 V8 ENGINE
* M5U - 8 - SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
* PCJ - " OPEN ROAD " PKG., WHICH INCLUDES YOUR :
1) POWER SUNROOF
2) DVD ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM
* PCX - DENALI PREMIUM PKG., WHICH INCLUDES YOUR :
1) HEAD - UP DISPLAY SYSTEM
2) POWER RETRACTABLE RUNNING BOARDS ( CLEAN LOOKING ! )
3) ADAPTIVE CRUSIE CONTROL
* UTT - THEFT DETERRENT SYSTEM, WHICH INCLUDES YOUR :
1) SELF - POWERED HORN
2) VEHICLE INCLINATION SENSOR
3) INTERIOR VEHICLE MOVEMENT SENSOR
* VV4 - ONSTAR 4G LTE WI-FI HOTSPOT WITH 3GB

PLUS ALL THE OTHER POWER AMENITIES THAT COME STANDARD ON THE PREMIUM ( 5SA ) YUKON DENALI XL PKG., WHICH INCLUDE SOME OF THESE FEATURES, HEATED & COOLED 10-WAY POWER FULL-FEATURE BUCKET SEATS, MEMORY SEATS, NAVIGATION SYSTEM WITH REARVIEW CAMERA DISPLAY, 3RD ROW POWWER RETRACTABLE BENCH SEATING, HEAVY DUTY TRAILERING EQUIPMENT PKG., REMOTE VEHICLE START SYSTEM, UNIVERSAL HOME REMOTE, POWER LIFTGATE,
INTELLILINK, XM SATELLITE RADIO, 20 " CHROME ALUMINUM WHEELS, AND MORE !!!

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did a vin check and it says 3.23 axle and:
Trailering equipment, heavy-duty includes trailering hitch platform, 7-wire harness with independent fused trailering circuits mated to a 7-way sealed connector and 2" trailering receiver
Trailer brake controller, integrated
Cooling, auxiliary external transmission oil cooler, heavy-duty air-to-oil
Cooling, external engine oil cooler, heavy-duty air-to-oil integral to driver side of radiator

Yukon John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did a vin check and it says 3.23 axle and:
Trailering equipment, heavy-duty includes trailering hitch platform, 7-wire harness with independent fused trailering circuits mated to a 7-way sealed connector and 2" trailering receiver
Trailer brake controller, integrated
Cooling, auxiliary external transmission oil cooler, heavy-duty air-to-oil
Cooling, external engine oil cooler, heavy-duty air-to-oil integral to driver side of radiator

Apparently with the Denali there is different equipment across the board but obviously you have every option available for trailering.

Parthery

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no separate "max trailering" package / RPO for the Denali. Everything is standard. Only difference is Denali's get a 3.23 rear end. The rear end on a max trailering equipped 5.3 Yukon is a 3.42

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that would make sense (considering the cost of the darn thing!!!)

I have not towed yet, but I have a race car in construction that is about to get the roof ripped off and towed to the cage builder...

So I have been reading the tow threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10