Instrument Light Sockets?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dachrist

Reaction score
So this past weekend I pulled my dash apart to change the lights to LED's and to fix the lights in the radio and in some of the switches. Some of the dash lights were so "stuck" in the plastic holders that I ended up in destroying two of the plastic lamp sockets. No problem, I thought, I have seen these before down at the local Crappy Tire (Canada, eh?). So I went down there and picked up the generic dashboard socket. Problem is, the replacement socket contacts do not line up with the dashboard contacts when they are twisted in. So, where can I pick up some proper replacement sockets?

xX Mavr1ck Xx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
D

dachrist

Reaction score
You see how in that pic on the link how the metal tabs are at 90 degrees to the plastic "ears" on the twist lock? Those are like the ones I picked up from the store. The ones ont he truck are not 90 degrees out, they are more like 45 - 30 degrees. So when you push in and turn with the new one, the metal tabs move away from the contact strip.

Jaycenk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are you sure you don't just rotate the contacts in the bulb socket to the correct position in the socket so they will line up with the strips on the gauge pod? I not talking about putting the bulb socket into the dash and only turning it so far, I am talking about the copper contacts in the bulb sockets them selves.

OP
OP
D

dachrist

Reaction score
Thats just it...when you first put the new socket in, the contacts are on the strips. But when you rotate the connector to "lock it in", the contacts move away from the strips so they are just on plastic.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The twist lock bases I used on my cluster were the same way. When fully locked in position, the metal was no longer in contact with the circuit board. I just turned them back just a tad before fully locked position and they work fine. They have not come loose or anything. They have been in my cluster for well over a year.

OP
OP
D

dachrist

Reaction score
Cool, I'll try that. Gotta take the dash apart again to fix the radio lights anyways.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700

Latest posts