Instrument Cluster Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

griffinzx10

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all, great forum you all have here. New to this forum but not to forums in general. I did some searching and found some good info regarding my question, but i wanted to ask the question with a few more details that pertain to my specific situation. So please forgive me for reposting a question, and thank you in advance for taking the time to read this.

So i have a 2005 GMC SLT Yukon, about 125k miles on the truck now, and a couple of months ago, i started noticing that the gauges on the cluster were acting flakey. It started with the oil pressure gauge, on cold days it would sit at zero, and then barely move when accelerating. But after about 25-30 min when the truck warmed up, if i shut the truck off and restarted it, then it went back to its normal operating position.

Soon after that i noticed that the gas gauge would off from time to time and finally the kicker was even more recently, the truck would show that i was doing 30 mph when stopped. The speedometer got progressivly worse, to where it would show 60 mph at a stop, or sometimes even 110, or 120, again at a full stop. Oh and from time to time the RPM gauge wouldnt be working properly.

So now after doing some research i found, like everyone else, that there was a recall on the instrument cluster, but i dont qualify due to miles on the truck now. I found on here and other Chevy/GMC forums some people also experienced the same problem and replaced the stepper motors. The job looks fairly simple, but i was wondering could there actually be something else wrong with my cluster. I dont want to spend the 30 bucks (i know it isnt much) to buy the replacement motors and then find out that i have a short in the circut board or something.

Has anyone else experience this and successfully replaced the stepper motors?
Also i see there are places online who will do the motor replacement for you, and possibly test the circut board, are they worth the money? Do they have a quick turn around time?

Thank you all.

OP
OP
G

griffinzx10

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Scottyboy, thank you for the reply, and i did read your write up, which was awesome by the way, but my question was more of, is this a sure fix, or could it be something else, like something wrong with the circuit board.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only two ways to find out if its a problem with the circuit board. One way to find out is to change the stepper motors. if the stepper motor still do not work, then if possible the circuit board may be bad.The other way to find out is to ship it to a speedometer place but that will cost you an arm and a leg.personally, I would just pay the money to change the stepper motors. they are fairly inexpensive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Codered5557