Installing new front bumper trim, question for anyone else who has done this

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikeb3408

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, I have a front license plate bracket drilled into my bumper and I’m wanting to remove it.

I noticed GM has the part for $67 here and I’m wondering how difficult this part is to install? I’m having my car into the shop for a few upgrades and considering just having this part replaced while it’s in. The shop is quoting me an hour of labor to swap it. Does that sound about right?

https://www.gmpartsonline.net/oem-p...0YWhvZSZ5PTIwMTYmdD1sdCZlPTUtM2wtdjgtZmxleA==

BlackYukon

I'm kind of a Retard
Reaction score
I Just installed one today on my Yukon. Took me about an hour and a half and wasn't that hard, just very time consuming when it comes to getting the trim retaining tabs released from the bumper. If you've taken the front bumper off before then this little project is a walk in the park, but if you don't feel comfortable with potentially breaking something then I would have the shop do it for you.

OP
OP
M

mikeb3408

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I Just installed one today on my Yukon. Took me about an hour and a half and wasn't that hard, just very time consuming when it comes to getting the trim retaining tabs released from the bumper. If you've taken the front bumper off before then this little project is a walk in the park, but if you don't feel comfortable with potentially breaking something then I would have the shop do it for you.

Thanks! Did you replace your for the same reason?

SO the entire bumper does not come off, its just the trim piece that pops out and the new one essentially pops back in?

I'm planning on having the shop do it.

I'm OCD and this seems like the best option to get the license plate bracket off and not have any holes or plugs to show in it place.

BlackYukon

I'm kind of a Retard
Reaction score
Thanks! Did you replace your for the same reason?

SO the entire bumper does not come off, its just the trim piece that pops out and the new one essentially pops back in?

I'm planning on having the shop do it.

I'm OCD and this seems like the best option to get the license plate bracket off and not have any holes or plugs to show in it place.

Negative, I installed tow hooks so I had to install a new trim piece that has slots for the tow hooks.

No you don't have to take the bumper off to install it, It just makes the install a bit easier.

OP
OP
M

mikeb3408

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Gotcha, I guess that’s a consideration I should make before installing the new piece. If I want to add toe hooks do I just have the new trim piece installed and then those screw in after or what? Let me know what else I would need to go that route if possible.

Thanks!

BlackYukon

I'm kind of a Retard
Reaction score
Pretty much. Just remove the Stock trim piece, Install the tow hooks which are held in by two 18mm Bolts, and then install the new trim piece that is made for tow hooks.

I assume you have a Tahoe since the trim piece you linked is for one.

The part number for the Tow Hook lower molding is: 22936496
Part numer for the tow hooks are: 23245141

OP
OP
M

mikeb3408

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Pretty much. Just remove the Stock trim piece, Install the tow hooks which are held in by two 18mm Bolts, and then install the new trim piece that is made for tow hooks.

I assume you have a Tahoe since the trim piece you linked is for one.

The part number for the Tow Hook lower molding is: 22936496
Part numer for the tow hooks are: 23245141

Correct, I have a Tahoe thank you for the part numbers.

Do you think I should go with chrome or black hooks? Attached is the grille front end I have on mine

95363FB8-398D-499A-975F-C915A6EB5787.jpeg

BlackYukon

I'm kind of a Retard
Reaction score
Correct, I have a Tahoe thank you for the part numbers.

Do you think I should go with chrome or black hooks? Attached is the grille front end I have on mine

View attachment 240283

It's entirely up to you man, It's all about personal preference. My vehicle is all blacked out so I instinctively went with the black ones, but if you have allot of chrome on your vehicle the chrome tow hooks would compliment it.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
After removing the OEM license plate bracket, the two holes left behind are very minute and unnoticeable.

Go to your ACE Hardware / fastener isle ..... ( I did)...... Get a pair of tiny clear/white "snap-in" plastic caps.

You hardly notice the caps ( pretty flush).... You don't notice the license plate holes anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xay2Smoove