Installing FOX 2.0 Coil-Overs(2015 GMC Yukon XL SLT) *TIPS & REVIEW*

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dmenzie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello, all. First time posting on this forum and hopefully it’s a good one! I just recently purchased a set of FOX 2.0 coil-over front strut assemblies(982-02-018) and rear shocks(980-24-660) for my wife’s 2015 Yukon XL SLT. I have searched and searched with no prevail for an informative write up about the adjustments for this particular coil-over. With a full toolbox and the facility to install these suspension components at my disposal, I figure I might as well dive in deep and document my results to share with others. Unless this has already been done and I’ve been searching all of the wrong keywords(wouldn’t surprise me). If so, or if someone has some real-world experience with this particular setup, please share! This is a community after all.

Let me start by saying these are not yet installed on our SUV. So far, I have reached out to FOX technical support in regards to the preset and adjustment feature of this coil-over. In an email I received on 8/1/22, they claimed that these are preset to 1” of lift right out of the box. I have seen a lot of different opinions and results on this, but I will take their word for it….for now. Some say they gained 2-3” and some say it’s different because these will also fit on a GM pickup of the same year(s). Either way, I plan to figure this out for myself and get to the bottom of this for the community. When I asked them about adjustments, they said that preload has a 2 to 1 payoff. For example, moving the adjustment nut 1/2” up or down, is equivalent to 1” of lift or drop at the wheel. Again, I plan to take the time to confirm this to be 100% accurate information.

That’s it. That’s all I have for you guys right now. Hopefully I didn’t bore you too much. As I work through and finish the install, I will post my thoughts in here. I encourage you chime in too! Always open to hear what others have to say. All I ask is that you please keep your post informative. There are other threads that will show you what these trucks look like when they are leveled and this isn’t one of them. Cheers!

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

I cannot personally help you with your question; however, other members on this Forum that are much more knowledgeable than me will chime in. There are members in this Forum who have used Fox products.

usaf27

Reaction score
I installed Fox 2.0 (985-02-018) on my 2016 suburban. It raised the front end 2.5 - 3”. After driving about 200-400 miles it settled about 3/4”. My passenger side ended up being 1/2” higher than the driver side. So I adjusted it and got them to be even.

I have the Magneride in the rear so I did not do any lift yet on the rear.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed Fox 2.0 (985-02-018) on my 2016 suburban. It raised the front end 2.5 - 3”. After driving about 200-400 miles it settled about 3/4”. My passenger side ended up being 1/2” higher than the driver side. So I adjusted it and got them to be even.

I have the Magneride in the rear so I did not do any lift yet on the rear.
Had the same exact setup for a long time….worked very well for us!

OP
OP
D

dmenzie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
One month later….I finally found the time to get these coil overs installed on our Yukon. I strongly recommend having a strut compressor available if you plan on making any adjustments during this process. It will allow you to turn the adjuster nut by hand! I began the install with the intentions of giving FOX the benefit of the doubt and bolting them on how they were set right out of the box. However, I quickly realized that when most say they saw 2.5-3” of front ride height increase, you better believe it. I didn’t even fool around with it. I took them right back out before even fully bolting them in.

Prior to getting the truck on the lift, I measured the difference in ride height from front to rear. I had about 2” difference with the front being lower. I went into this not wanting the truck perfectly level as I didn’t want the truck to sag too much or at all when loaded down with cargo or pulling a trailer. So I decided to follow the numbers FOX gave me for adjusting the spring preload(for every 1/2” the nut moves up/down, expect 1” out at the wheel). I measured the length of exposed threads and it came out to 2-7/8” of threads on each coil over. I took that number down to 2-3/8” on each coil over and installed them on the truck. Unlike the information FOX provided about the preset being 1” of lift out of the box, it appears that they were spot on with the adjustment calculations. I now have just 3/4”-7/8” difference from front to rear which is exactly what I was looking for. In a nutshell, FOX is wrong about the preset height out of the box. Definitely expect more than 1” of lift on these Yukons. Second, I have confirmed that 1/2” movement of the adjuster nut will result in roughly 1” of movement at the wheel.

As for ride quality, I can’t speak much for that yet. I literally drove it 3 miles and dropped it off for alignment on Monday. I did find a picture of how it looked before and took a picture of how it looks now. I think it looks great and is one of the better options for leveling out these trucks. Little more involved compared to other options, but definitely worth it in my opinion. I will update again once we have some miles under our belt. We will be driving from Indiana to Florida and back a month from now so I should definitely have some good feedback on how things are settling in and also how the ride quality is. Stay tuned!

Attachments

• 1A16DD7F-4D2C-4B1F-94FD-9EB96C68BE3C.jpeg
    1A16DD7F-4D2C-4B1F-94FD-9EB96C68BE3C.jpeg
    452.7 KB · Views: 62
  • 8EF8DEBB-B24F-4FA0-AC9B-204761B1AF9E.jpeg
    8EF8DEBB-B24F-4FA0-AC9B-204761B1AF9E.jpeg
    314.4 KB · Views: 61

Vego99

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How are those coil overs working for you?
how did you defeat the mag a ride?

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Xineering magnaride delete kit.

Heres a thread i started way back when i put these on my wifes denali. Should have that info in it….

OP
OP
D

dmenzie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So far so good on my end. We do enjoy the ride. My only complaint is that they were pretty noisy at first, but seem to be settling down. I did some reading and found some people experiencing the same thing.

I did not do the magna-ride delete because mine is a SLT model and did not come with that from the factory. I am glad honestly because it made the project that much easier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mldawson11