Installed a CAI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fast_AT4

RWM +1
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A general statement. It’s a misnomer. Most of these aftermarket CAIs actually aren’t “colder” because the insulating material is not as thick as the stock one. Or the box is made of metal. Second an oiled filter is not always better. Where do you think that oil could be going? In your intake. Breathe better? Maybe but unless you are also doing a full exhaust long tube headers and no catalytic converters an aftermarket intake isn’t really doing anything for you. Also by “breathing better” then that means the filter then must be more porous to let more air through, and then also thereby letting more dirt through? There are tons of threads on this topic on forums out there. I don’t have the actual studies in front of me, but many will tell you that they don’t really do much for you other than increase the sucking sound of your engine. If the GM engineers thought you needed a better intake so that your engine didn’t have suck as hard to get air, then wouldn’t they not have designed it? You could argue that the CAI gets better MPG. But does it? More air in = more fuel in does it not? On my last vehicle I got great gas mileage with a tune on a stock engine. After bolt ons and tune my mileage went down, but was still pretty good… just my thought. I think they’re a waste of money unless you’re going to go with full bolt ons.
Thanks for the reply :cheers:

I hear ya, some folks think they are going to get HUGE increases. The reality is that unless you have additional supporting mods...you most likely wont see/feel it. My first mod on my BMW F10 M5 was a Project Gamma (scoop located dual filter) intake. Which for those, it was mostly for slight "hp increase", but more so to hear the BOV sound when shifting. Added on a Soul exhaust...tune...and yes,m my gas mileage did not get better bahahah ;). Driving the M5 "spirited", I was seeing around 10mpg....but it is what it is. Have already looked at the current CAI on the market for the AT4 but have also looked at the actual setup of it in my engine bay. Now I have an idea brewing :driver:

Comptech87

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just ordered the brand new Roto-Fab intake. Should be here this week. I’ll make sure I take photos. Roto-Fab makes great stuff and most of the sports car guys love their stuff!

aboss3

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Can't say that we say anything huge, but we didn't have the Tahoe that long before I installed it.
With the CAI, the GM performance exhaust a catch can and the Pedal Commander we avg 22.5 mpg on a trip from NC to the NH/VT and back, that's using premium fuel and cruise on most of the way.
I'm not sure what others with the 6.2 are getting?
I've been getting up to 21.8 on a 150-mile road trip a week ago with a stock everything on '22 Yukon XL Denali, and going at speed limit on cruise. So does look like a 1 mpg increase while cruising.

OP
OP
hdrolling

hdrolling

Reaction score
I've been getting up to 21.8 on a 150-mile road trip a week ago with a stock everything on '22 Yukon XL Denali, and going at speed limit on cruise. So does look like a 1 mpg increase while cruising.

We just got back a from a week in FL, NC to FL and then back we were averaging 23.4. That's with the the setting set to the highest "450 mile" setting, not the "50 mile" setting that always shows higher numbers. Tahoe has just over 10k so I'm guessing now that it's broken in it improved a little, I normally set the adaptive cruise 9 over the speed limit.

In an around town it dropped to 19.2 but getting around Orlando sucks.

aboss3

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We just got back a from a week in FL, NC to FL and then back we were averaging 23.4. That's with the the setting set to the highest "450 mile" setting, not the "50 mile" setting that always shows higher numbers. Tahoe has just over 10k so I'm guessing now that it's broken in it improved a little, I normally set the adaptive cruise 9 over the speed limit.

How difficult was it to install the CAI? And how long did it take?

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score

You may find manual mileage calculations compared to the computer in your ride may differ. At least it’s true in the 16 and 17 I’ve owned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkavros

Latest posts