Initial thoughts on the 8-speed Trans.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RobDenali

Reaction score
Drive it like a Mopar ! 3rd day into ownership of my 2016 Yuke XL I felt the transmission shutter, pretty sure it was in 3rd when I felt it. I am now finding that "letting up" a little bit right before it shifts to the next gear reduces the shutter. I did this all the time on the 68rfe Trans in my Ram 2500, it was a nasty tranny that jerked and bucked like crazy. However, if I put 2000 lbs in the bed or towed 10,000 pounds the transmission performed perfectly. I wish a had a big boat of something to put a load on this 8 speed
and see how it performs. Is anyone who is reading this pulling heavy loads. How is she doing?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drive it like a Mopar ! 3rd day into ownership of my 2016 Yuke XL I felt the transmission shutter, pretty sure it was in 3rd when I felt it. I am now finding that "letting up" a little bit right before it shifts to the next gear reduces the shutter. I did this all the time on the 68rfe Trans in my Ram 2500, it was a nasty tranny that jerked and bucked like crazy. However, if I put 2000 lbs in the bed or towed 10,000 pounds the transmission performed perfectly. I wish a had a big boat of something to put a load on this 8 speed
and see how it performs. Is anyone who is reading this pulling heavy loads. How is she doing?

I have read many posts on this and over at GM-Trucks that the shudder solution is to replace the transmission fluid, reprogram the transmission and then replace the torque converter. I "think" they changed the fluid type to remedy this, don't remember.

OP
OP
RobDenali

RobDenali

Reaction score
I have read many posts on this and over at GM-Trucks that the shudder solution is to replace the transmission fluid, reprogram the transmission and then replace the torque converter. I "think" they changed the fluid type to remedy this, don't remember.

Thank you, I am also over at gm-trucks now I read the trans fluid and filter change thread. I am so grateful for it because its at a stealership right now getting the 20 quart moblie 1 flush and new filter and they are robbing me of 565.00 lol. I will now have a cleaned out tranny and I will do it myself every 25000 for now on, God willing.

OP
OP
RobDenali

RobDenali

Reaction score
I suggest that you consider getting a tune for your transmission control module.

Yes I am very interested in that, of course I have to ask you how would I go about doing that? I dont mind reading so any links or vids would be very helpful

OP
OP
RobDenali

RobDenali

Reaction score
Ok I got my truck back it was 595.00 instead of 565.00 (service guy gave himself a tip I think,lol) but let me tell you WOW. I actually noticed a difference as soon as I sat in the truck. Its didnt have that shake at idle that I was going to try and get rid of with seafoam. Now for the transmission, I pulled out in D and the truck took off. I mean it launched compared to before. I am soooo happy now. If I can keep the truck running just like it is now I am golden. I am gonna flush the tranny like every 20 or 25 k. I am heading to the store for fluid pump and aft for the transfer case. I am a 34 inch waist and I dont have a jack so I am hoping to slide underneath

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I got my truck back it was 595.00 instead of 565.00 (service guy gave himself a tip I think,lol) but let me tell you WOW. I actually noticed a difference as soon as I sat in the truck. Its didnt have that shake at idle that I was going to try and get rid of with seafoam. Now for the transmission, I pulled out in D and the truck took off. I mean it launched compared to before. I am soooo happy now. If I can keep the truck running just like it is now I am golden. I am gonna flush the tranny like every 20 or 25 k. I am heading to the store for fluid pump and aft for the transfer case. I am a 34 inch waist and I dont have a jack so I am hoping to slide underneath

You should be able to pull a line from the radiator (Lisle 22930 maybe?), plug in an adapter (Hayden 395 maybe?) with some nylon hose and pump it out that way and refill through the dipstick. GM runs the trans fluid hot for emissions, does little for longevity. Mine runs cooler and the fluid was still projected to be dead by 46K miles. So changing yours that often is wise.

OP
OP
RobDenali

RobDenali

Reaction score
You should be able to pull a line from the radiator (Lisle 22930 maybe?), plug in an adapter (Hayden 395 maybe?) with some nylon hose and pump it out that way and refill through the dipstick. GM runs the trans fluid hot for emissions, does little for longevity. Mine runs cooler and the fluid was still projected to be dead by 46K miles. So changing yours that often is wise.

Thanks I have so much to learn I didnt even know there was a dipstick :insane:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTN_KDA