1st time replacing 10 speed fluid & filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrMonte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2018 Yukon Denali was due for a trans fluid & filter. It's insane what they charge to do the 10 speed fluid & filter change. I watched a few videos, bought 12qt of AC Delco ULV transmission fluid & filter for $125 and I used 2 8ft pieces of tubing.

Need 3/8" OD tubing to plug into the radiator trans return line. The other tube connects to the trans cooling line you disconnected from the radiator because it will spit some out when the engine starts.

1 - Once tubing is setup I started the engine & let 3qts drain then shut off engine. Trans was already at temp before starting.
2 - Removed oil pan & replaced filter. Cooling lines at trans had to be disconnected for pan to drop.
3 - Installed pan & cooling lines to trans then added 4qts to transmission.
4 - Started engine & let fluid drain as I added more to the transmission until all the old fluid has been removed.

Total time including putting the Yukon on/off 4 jack stands and a tire rotation took 90 minutes.

My trans flush setup.
20231116_152745.jpg

Last edited:

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good catch - Denali only gets ULV. Figures its only in quart form...

Last edited:

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My chevy dealer quoted me $255 for drain/filter on 10 spd - that seems like a pretty decent deal for all that fluid. Would you still do it yourself if that was the price?

OP
OP
MrMonte

MrMonte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My chevy dealer quoted me $255 for drain/filter on 10 spd - that seems like a pretty decent deal for all that fluid. Would you still do it yourself if that was the price?
Check your quote, it's likely just drop the pan, replace filter then add 4qts. It takes longer to put the vehicle on 4 jack stands than drop the pan, replace filter then add the 4qts.

If it was $255 for full transmission flush & filter I might let them do it. That is still $130 more that what paid in parts + I would lose way more than 90 minutes of my time and at my age I need to utilize every minute I have. LOL

The transmission shop that builds my performance transmissions quoted me $500 labor since I had the parts.

Last edited:

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah she probably quoted a 6 speed. Also said I needed to drop it off at 7am and it would be there all day, so that's a hell no from me. 12 qts and a filter is about a hundy from RA, so Ill give it a shot. Its used, so I need to check the magnet and fluid anyway, but Im not excited about dropping that big ass sloppy pan around the exhaust all over me...

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2018 Yukon Denali was due for a trans fluid & filter. It's insane what they charge to do the 10 speed fluid & filter change. I watched a few videos, bought 12qt of AC Delco ULV transmission fluid & filter for $125 and I used 2 8ft pieces of tubing.

Need 3/8" OD tubing to plug into the radiator trans return line. The other tube connects to the trans cooling line you disconnected from the radiator because it will spit some out when the engine starts.

1 - Once tubing is setup I started the engine & let 3qts drain then shut off engine. Trans was already at temp before starting.
2 - Removed oil pan & replaced filter. Cooling lines at trans had to be disconnected for pan to drop.
3 - Installed pan & cooling lines to trans then added 4qts to transmission.
4 - Started engine & let fluid drain as I added more to the transmission until all the old fluid has been removed.

Total time including putting the Yukon on/off 4 jack stands and a tire rotation took 90 minutes.

My trans flush setup.
View attachment 414400
When you added the fluid as you drained, was it directly into the tranny fill port, or to the cooling line return?

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
It's insane what they charge to do the 10 speed fluid & filter change.
What did they quote you?

Around the Houston area, the dealers want over $600 for a full filter and oil flush. I ended up doing my sons 18 camaro 10sp tranny myself.

OP
OP
MrMonte

MrMonte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you added the fluid as you drained, was it directly into the tranny fill port, or to the cooling line return?
I filled directly into the fill port while the engine was running and the trans return line disconnected. Once 10qts were added I turned off the engine, reconnected the trans return line, started up the engine then added the remaining trans fluid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz

Latest posts