Info on fuel pump swap needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VOLZ1207

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all, i had a 1999 tahoe that i cut an access hole in the rear floorboard in order to swapout fuel pump without removing fuel tank.
My question is, am i able to do the same in a 2002? And if so, does anyone have any tips or pics. Thanks

ktmhans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can say that its the fastest way. You would have o remove the tank first to cut the hole anyway. I just did my pump. For my 04 non flex it was a pain in the ass. There are 2 lines on the rear right, the fill and vent in the back, and a return and supply up front. Plus the pf wires. First time took me 4 hours. Shit in connectors, had no clue where they were, wash the tank, clean everything up. The second time, 2 days later, it was down and back in all tools cleaned up in 1.5 hr. Was almost easy.

tx01tahoe

Reaction score
I just did it as well by pulling the tank out from underneath, took me about 8 hours because I had to make a couple trips to the store

OP
OP
V

VOLZ1207

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
thanks for the info, i'm wondering now, if anyone has got a picture or dimensions of the location of the fuel pump in the tank. it doesnt seem as though anyone has tried the access hole trick yet. i gonna keep searching. i will do a write up if it can be done.

custom99

Reaction score
I have done that trick on 3 different Sububans/Yukons and 2 Explorers. So much faster and easier. The Yukon I bought yesterday needs the unit replaced since the gas gauge only reads empty with a full tank. I will probably mess with it in the next few weeks.

OP
OP
V

VOLZ1207

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Custom 99, what year did you buy? Congrats. If you will, keep us informed if you do end up and go through the floor if its similar to my 02 and maybe some pictures and/or dimensions. Good luck!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10