In need of a bit of help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Rozay

Rozay

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Great! At least you know there's a light at the end of the tunnel. Sure, it's mostly illumination from the forthcoming sparks from cutting on the frame. But, you have a solution. Watch that gas tank!

Hahaha yup! Thanks!

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Easy fix, glad its something simple.
Its not too bad but, that tank sure is mighty close to the frame. Evaluate the situation before you get carried away. Don't ask me why ;)

Tahoe looks good to.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Easy fix, glad its something simple.
Its not too bad but, that tank sure is mighty close to the frame. Evaluate the situation before you get carried away. Don't ask me why ;)

Tahoe looks good to.

I had to whittle away a little at a time from the outside. Of course, this means cutting out enough material from the outside to have enough room to fit a 4.5" grinder in there with a 6" cutting wheel on it. I wore safety glasses AND a face shield.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to whittle away a little at a time from the outside. Of course, this means cutting out enough material from the outside to have enough room to fit a 4.5" grinder in there with a 6" cutting wheel on it. I wore safety glasses AND a face shield.

I did something similar. I used a 4.5" grinder with a cut off wheel to cut the outer skin then I used a Sawzall with one of those bad ass carbide tip blades to cut through the inner skin. It worked great and was fast. Pictured on the left.
But, when I got close to the tank I said "just a little bit closer" and boom. Thankfully I only nicked it. The tanks are thicker than you think haha.

lenox blades.jpg

Shunto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got my Tahoe last week and it’s already lowered. I have a few questions. Can anyone tell how much it is lowered? The front suspension rides and feels fine. The rear is very rough. I have read about the bump stop mod, is there anything else I should look for? I’m going to get it on my lift this weekend. Would a shock change help as well? Any recommendations? Thank you. It’s a 2007 2wd

View attachment 218193

Man,
Thats a nice Truck... Nice 24's I'm curious... Is is possible - or safe to tow a jet ski or a Travel trailer or even a small Boat with that current set up?

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man,
Thats a nice Truck... Nice 24's I'm curious... Is is possible - or safe to tow a jet ski or a Travel trailer or even a small Boat with that current set up?

With helper bags, sure thing.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did something similar. I used a 4.5" grinder with a cut off wheel to cut the outer skin then I used a Sawzall with one of those bad ass carbide tip blades to cut through the inner skin. It worked great and was fast. Pictured on the left.
But, when I got close to the tank I said "just a little bit closer" and boom. Thankfully I only nicked it. The tanks are thicker than you think haha.

View attachment 218385

Yup. Same thing I did except I stopped soon enough with the Sawzall then went back to carving with the cut-off wheel.

Shunto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With helper bags, sure thing.
Thanks for the reply.. Next time round i think i might go this route... on my 4 runner i went up with aggressive tires... was a waste of money. No real off roading around here..

OP
OP
Rozay

Rozay

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I got travel now and it ride WAYYYY better, do they make a good “lowered” shock? Or am I better with extensions and a stock length shock? Still a pretty firm ride. Thanks!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I got travel now and it ride WAYYYY better, do they make a good “lowered” shock? Or am I better with extensions and a stock length shock? Still a pretty firm ride. Thanks!

Firm ride, as in the body feels like it's being jarred when you hit bumps or firm as in you feel every little crack, expansion joint, concrete seam, etc.? You have 24s and low-profile tires transfer a lot of road imperfections, so you'll feel every crack, bump, rock, etc. If it feels like the body is being jarred from the bumps as if you don't have any suspension travel (as it felt before you did the free travel mod), then you may just have stiff shocks. You said they were "short body" shocks as if they weren't stock. Do you know the brand and/or model? They could be cheap lowering shocks, which tend to be overly stiff and replacing them with quality shocks could be the simple fix. If the shocks aren't bottoming out, then you don't need shorter shocks or extensions, just better shocks. Basically, you want at least a little more travel in the shock than you have in the suspension.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylesimmons