If I intend to lift, should I hold out for a Z71?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Martinjmpr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We are getting ready to take our last camping trip with my 4runner, and as soon as we get back next week the Toyota will be up for sale. Once it is sold (I'm hoping in less than 2 weeks) I'll start shopping for a Suburban or Yukon XL, 2001 - 2006.

I'll definitely get a 4x4 (which is like 95% of them here in CO anyway) but my question for the group is this: If I intend to do a small lift (probably a 2" lift with keys and maybe spacers) so I can run bigger tires, should I confine my search to Z71 models (obviously that would do away with the XL entirely?)

Reason I ask is that I see a lot of people (presumably with non-Z71s) using Z71 coils, and I'm thinking that if I start off with the Z71 coils that will remove one step I need to take. Or is the coil swap not a big deal?

Are there any other particular advantages to the Z71 package? From what I've seen on the ad searches I've been doing the Z71 models seem to be pretty generously equipped, they usually have leather, captain's chairs in the back and usually a sunroof.

Do ALL Z71's have the G80 rear locking diff? My understanding is that the G80 option was not specific to any one trim level, some had it and some didn't but I may be wrong.

The biggest disadvantage to limiting my search to Z71s is that it drastically decreases the "pool" of vehicles I have to choose from and I've noticed the prices on Z71s tend to be higher. But if there's a real advantage to the Z71 package then I'll hold out for that one.

Thanks in advance!

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no real advantage to a Z71 over any other 4x4 and I certainly would not pay more just to have a Z71

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The people that use z71 springs want a small lift. If you want anything more than 1" you are waisting your money unless you want the gawd awful ugly Z roof racks. Other than the rear springs being a smudge taller and the front keys turned up a hair their is nothing different.

Now if you had a Trailblaxer the Z71 Tahoe springs provide a substantial lift on those vehicles.

Look for any 4wd and then the options you desire. Do not limit to a Z.

How big are you looking to go?

OP
OP
Martinjmpr

Martinjmpr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The people that use z71 springs want a small lift. If you want anything more than 1" you are waisting your money unless you want the gawd awful ugly Z roof racks. Other than the rear springs being a smudge taller and the front keys turned up a hair their is nothing different.

Now if you had a Trailblaxer the Z71 Tahoe springs provide a substantial lift on those vehicles.

Look for any 4wd and then the options you desire. Do not limit to a Z.

How big are you looking to go?

Thanks for the input, it's kind of what I thought but I wanted to ask people who knew for sure.

The primary duty of the vehicle will be to pull a trailer so I'm not really going to go that big, as reliability and safety are both paramount to me.

IIRC the stock size tire on the 01-06 4x4 'Burb is 265/70/16, or a 30.5" tire, correct? Most likely a 265/75/16 would fit pretty easy without a lift, I'm guessing. I'd like to be able to go up to at least a 32.5 - 33" tire so I'm thinking an inch or two of lift should be sufficient, maybe run 285/75/16's. As for tires I'd probably go for either BFG AT KO's (which is what I'm running now) or Goodyear Duratracs.

OP
OP
Martinjmpr

Martinjmpr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing that turns me off from the Z71 is that, as I said above, most of them have 2nd row captains chairs and a sunroof - neither of which I want/need.

SRTH8R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most switch to z71 springs to get rid of auto ride or the zw7 rear shocks. Those shocks carry some load where z71 springs carry the load. Takes 30 mins to swap springs. Not a big deal or cost. Find the cleanest lowest mile rig you can find. Go from there.

jough

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would guess that you want some sort of limited slip and/or locker in the rear. That may be tough to find in a non-Z71. Also, Z71s have a transmission cooler and perhaps a larger radiator. I think they may also have an additional skid plate. Most come with 3.73 gears.

OP
OP
Martinjmpr

Martinjmpr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would guess that you want some sort of limited slip and/or locker in the rear. That may be tough to find in a non-Z71. Also, Z71s have a transmission cooler and perhaps a larger radiator. I think they may also have an additional skid plate. Most come with 3.73 gears.

Yes, LSD/Locker are desired, as are skid plates but those can also be added later. I'd definitely want the transmission cooler, surprised that all Suburban's don't have them. Again, though, that's something that can be added.

If the Z71 brought something to the table that couldn't easily be added on later it might be worth getting but from what I've seen there's nothing that the Z71 has that I could not put onto a non-Z71.

From what I've seen shopping, price differences between Z71 and non-Z71 are significant, at least around here.

jough

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it were me, which it isn't, I'd look for a Z71 'burb with an LQ4 6.0, but that may take a while to find a good one at the right price. You might look at Yukon XLs. I don't care for the AWD, as winters are short here.

TheKid_eric

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
From what i've found before you should be able to run 285/75/16 without having to lift at all. You do have the option of cranking the torsion bars but i wouldnt recommend due to the ride going straight to hell. if you want a slight lift i suggest new keys and spacers for the rear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n