IDLING ROUGH/ACCELERATION MISS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pulled in garage last night low on fuel and decided to fill up today. Was running as it has since new. Today cranked as usual, before I pulled to mailbox, t started shaking and idling rough. I put it back in the garage and took my old faithful CRV.
This evening I put 3 gal of fuel and bottle of alcohol as I have done for years, started fine, idling not as rough as earlier but still has rough acceleration. Now if you don't know, don't tell me it needs intake gaskets, spider/distributor or anything else. I believe the low fuel and some water had settled, fuel pump picked it up. Have you had similar problem ? Fuel pump works as it always has, it runs for maybe 3 seconds and shuts off once pressure builds up as it should. Filter was replaced with AC Delco pump two(2) years ago. Help if you can
Is this item any good for me, OxGord CAN OBD II MS300 obd2 Scanner Tool for Check Engine Light & Diagnostics, Direct Scan and Read Out.
David g........:)

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Def picked up crap off the bottom of the tank david, you may have to drop the tank again, while its down you should clean it and maybe even do fuel pump again..i kniw you said it works properly but while the tank is down, i would... cheap insurance...whoever did it last may not have thoroughly cleaned the tank or maybe you got a tank of bad gas at some point. You have a cel on?
The link for the scanner is coming up as a microwave from walmart but ill look at it directly and see what its all about.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats just a basic scan/clear tool. It will work for reading and clearing cels on both your cars. Looks like it gives you the code and you have to look it up. Not for airbag or brakes though. You can def do better, if thats all you are looking for. Imo

OP
OP
RED TAHOE LS

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Def picked up crap off the bottom of the tank david, you may have to drop the tank again, while its down you should clean it and maybe even do fuel pump again..i kniw you said it works properly but while the tank is down, i would... cheap insurance...whoever did it last may not have thoroughly cleaned the tank or maybe you got a tank of bad gas at some point. You have a cel on?
The link for the scanner is coming up as a microwave from walmart but ill look at it directly and see what its all about.

Thanks Pete, I thought about taking battery cable off for a few hours, will that help any ? thanks again.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, it will clear the cel but may wipe out your radio and with the whole theft lock thing you may need a code for the radio. I forget now... its been years.
Heres what i would do david, fill yoir tank with super or premium gas, get some fuel injector cleaner and a little dry gas(add these before filling tnk) change the fuel filter on driverside frame rail and go to autozone or somewhere like tgat have them read and clear codes...this is the least expensive option and you may just get lucky bud.

pistnbroke88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Pulled in garage last night low on fuel and decided to fill up today. Was running as it has since new. Today cranked as usual, before I pulled to mailbox, t started shaking and idling rough. I put it back in the garage and took my old faithful CRV.
This evening I put 3 gal of fuel and bottle of alcohol as I have done for years, started fine, idling not as rough as earlier but still has rough acceleration. Now if you don't know, don't tell me it needs intake gaskets, spider/distributor or anything else. I believe the low fuel and some water had settled, fuel pump picked it up. Have you had similar problem ? Fuel pump works as it always has, it runs for maybe 3 seconds and shuts off once pressure builds up as it should. Filter was replaced with AC Delco pump two(2) years ago. Help if you can
Is this item any good for me, OxGord CAN OBD II MS300 obd2 Scanner Tool for Check Engine Light & Diagnostics, Direct Scan and Read Out.
Lol, I don't think it's an intake or spider issue, let's look at the basics. Does it prime and maintain fuel pressure (good fuel pressure) how low was the tank? It's possible to burn up a FP on a dry tank but burnt up isn't maintaining solid pressure but a plugged fuel filter will drop this reading also. If you picked up residual water in the tank it will fire up stumbles but will clear up after a few. Keep us posted on progress or if you discover anything new

OP
OP
RED TAHOE LS

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol, I don't think it's an intake or spider issue, let's look at the basics. Does it prime and maintain fuel pressure (good fuel pressure) how low was the tank? It's possible to burn up a FP on a dry tank but burnt up isn't maintaining solid pressure but a plugged fuel filter will drop this reading also. If you picked up residual water in the tank it will fire up stumbles but will clear up after a few. Keep us posted on progress or if you discover anything new

Let it set in garage yesterday, ordered AC Delco fuel filter/air filter, be in Wednesday. Started up this afternoon after setting w/fresh fuel & additive, fuel pump primed up as usual was running better, suspect fuel filter is partially clogged plus water. Will update soon.
David g........

OP
OP
RED TAHOE LS

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE/UPDATE

This just goes to show you, a vehicle CAN and WILL do crazy things when least expected. I had taken the Hoe out of the garage to warm up (as usual) 5 minutes later went down my driveway stopping at the mailbox, rolled the window down got the mail, started to pull off and it started shaking. I knew i was very low on fuel and was headed to town but went back to the garage and took the CRV. Common sense would tell me that it had sucked something from the tank like water so I assumed that what it was.
Sent it to the shop (rollback) yesterday afternoon, got the call before noon today, Distributor Cap and Rotor Button. 202K and never been replaced, still has factory wires.

Could I have avoided this is I had an inexpensive scanner ? Give me your advise, it would be helpful. Thanks Forum, you guys are awesome.
David g......:2cents:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10

Latest posts