Idle ticking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ali saleh

Reaction score
Hi have 01 yukon denali 6.0 runs perfect no check engine lights or anything just Constant ticking or clicking around valve cover at idle low rpm at acceleration it goes away only thing it helped quiet it a little is 10w40 oil any idea whats the fix i really dont want to open tge engine

2011SSVHOE

I'm an egual oportunity offender
Reaction score
check your true oil pressure with a mechanical gage . I suspect low oil pressure at idle. also how many miles?

I had an old f@#d truck did the same thing, had worn cam bearings, I sold it and got an old chevy. that was 28 years ago still got that old chevy by the way.

OP
OP
A

ali saleh

Reaction score
I
check your true oil pressure with a mechanical gage . I suspect low oil pressure at idle. also how many miles?

I had an old f@#d truck did the same thing, had worn cam bearings, I sold it and got an old chevy. that was 28 years ago still got that old chevy by the way.
I checked Oil pressure is 45 idle with mechanical gauge and dashboard same around 45 im could be many thing lifters, cam, oil pump, o ring not sure and i really dont want to blow any money on it it has 141k miles on it but strange thing its been ticking since around 97k miles same tick no change

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
141k? LMAO Heck its barely broken in. No reason you shouldnt get 300K out of the engine. Its not uncommon.
The 4.8/5.3/6.0 are notorious for valvetrain noise. Usually its the lifters. Sometimes using this or that added to the oil shuts them up but the only true fix is replace the lifters and when you do that its smart to replace the cam too.

OP
OP
A

ali saleh

Reaction score
141k? LMAO Heck its barely broken in. No reason you shouldnt get 300K out of the engine. Its not uncommon.
The 4.8/5.3/6.0 are notorious for valvetrain noise. Usually its the lifters. Sometimes using this or that added to the oil shuts them up but the only true fix is replace the lifters and when you do that its smart to replace the cam too.
You right i asked many shops locally one saying piston ring other valve other say oil pump weak other say cam but as i read on this forum and the it sounds its more likle lifter s and cam but since its driving good and good oil pressure im not tuching it as it been ticking the last 3 years i think once engine is opened it will never come back as it was from factory no matter how good the mechanic is

OP
OP
A

ali saleh

Reaction score
Any oil u recommend or additive that help shut this valve train noise up ?

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You right i asked many shops locally one saying piston ring other valve other say oil pump weak other say cam but as i read on this forum and the it sounds its more likle lifter s and cam but since its driving good and good oil pressure im not tuching it as it been ticking the last 3 years i think once engine is opened it will never come back as it was from factory no matter how good the mechanic is
The Gen 3 and 4 engine platform is very easy to work on. Really only a couple things to remember, never reuse fasteners (IE: Head Bolts) and always got by torque to yield specs which includes a torque wrench and angular gauge. Its really no big deal (the valvetrain noise). Its just annoying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tired_One