Identify My Hoes!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

00'BlueSteel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was swapping out the dipstick tube and seal today and found these 2 rubber lines with plugs in them, one plug seems to be broken and fluid is leaking out. I think this is my leak, not the dipstick tube, cause the tube is fine and the seal I took out looked good as well.

Who knows what the 2 hoses with caps circled in red go to and if they should be capped or connected to something?8879C1FF-53CD-4111-A38E-050F823CFAD1.jpeg

OP
OP
00'BlueSteel

00'BlueSteel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look like vents for something. Maybe emissions or diff?

I agree they are vents, I think they are the transfer case and transmission vent. I found them laying on top of the bellhousing behind the transmission’s dip stick tube. Something must be overfilled if it is leaking out of the vent. I think that’s where my highway speed leak is coming from, transmission and transfer case reach higher pressure at 65/70mph and push fluid out the vent? Sounds wonky, seems like it would come out the overflow line that goes out the back not out the vent?

OP
OP
00'BlueSteel

00'BlueSteel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found this diagram, I am positive these are the 2 vent lines I found.
Now why is there fluid coming out of one of them?

AC738C72-E1C2-468C-9AD7-874AC9FF496C.jpeg

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Overfilled maybe? Is there some kind of filter inline somewhere? If so, maybe it's saturated? Maybe it's getting pressurized too much? I'm just throwing guesses out.

OP
OP
00'BlueSteel

00'BlueSteel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Overfilled maybe? Is there some kind of filter inline somewhere? If so, maybe it's saturated? Maybe it's getting pressurized too much? I'm just throwing guesses out.

I appreciate the extra guesses, that’s all I am doing right now.

The shop that rebuilt it did overfill it, I thought I had got it back to the right level but it is still over by a little bit, I am taking out the extra now.

I did find where people say that these transmission will do this when spun above 5600rpms, which is right where my shift is set at, I need to go do a pull and see if it indeed shifts right at 5600 or goes a little over. Every time I have noticed the leak it is right after I either get on the highway, which I usually do a WOT down the on ramps or hard full throttle down shifts passing people on the highway. Seems like it is a combination of overfilled, higher shift point spinning the transmission faster then it likes, and the added heat and expansion of the fluid at highway speeds.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's coming out, trans or diff fluid? Does your diff take trans fluid like the GMT900s? It's possible the seal between the two is leaking or weeping.