I want to make my 09 Tahoe more off-road trail ready

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

socalls

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I literally just posted a threat about this today, have not bought a Tahoe yet but actually I'm thinking going this route just based on the crazy prices on toyota and lexus vehicles with high mileage and the Tahoe seems to be a good package to start with little modification needed

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Tahoe should do what you want with some work.

I have done runs alongside all the vehicles you mentioned above on mountain trails, desert trails and around Moab with no problem. Over 2500 miles off road this past year and my rig has 195k miles on it.

Feel free to take a look at my build thread it may give you some ideas.

Getting a longer travel lift up front is a big plus. Baja kit combined with King struts is a great improvement you can get 3 inches of lift and 9 inches of travel. Lifting with out increase of travel is a waste of money and performance.

On the rear I would go with Spohn suspension package
adding a set of King shocks and longer springs.

Eliminating the front skirt and trimming you should be able to get some bigger tires under there too.

Good luck with your build...
@Tozan Have you gone with that rear panhard/track bar? I have it installed on mine and wanted to see if your experience is different from mine.

socalls

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I ended up with the twins, because the overlanding configuration really wanted a rear seat delete. Theothertwin only cost $4k at auction, so i felt much better about having two vehicles to separate their uses.

How did you get one that cheap lol?

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Dantheman1540 @Tozan I think the same came be said for ground clearance. Some of those crossmember drops I've seen look like they're asking to eat a boulder.

Oh yeah don't get me started! I totally understand the stance thing and wanting to look cool if that's your thing then own it. Just don't claim it's good off road and be educated about your choice of suspension.

OP
OP
gmartin1215

gmartin1215

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all!

I live in Colorado, so I will do most of my four-wheeling in the mountains, which could be rocky. I would also like to take it to trails in Utah, Arizona, and New Mexico.

I can see where it makes sense to do something different on the front end with the plastic bumper. I have rubbed this a few times on the trails I have tried. I never really was a fan of it and only kept it to maybe squeeze some more MPG out of the Tahoe. I am guessing the MPG savings would be negligible.

Trimming the plastic bumper (BP trim) seems to be the cheapest and lightest option to get a better approach angle. However, I would like to use the fog lamps still and add a recovery system with a winch. To do that, I would have to look at aftermarket bumpers.

Looking around on the Web, there are many different options and price ranges for bumpers. I am assuming the ones less than $1k will be only good for the show and will be awful when you actually need it. The Pre-runner style looks like the one I would prefer because it looks like there is clearance to remove the headlights when needed.

What brands would you recommend? What brands would you stay away from?
I would want one that has a which mount, and preferably hidden, but also would like this to not be ultra-heavy.

I will probably start with the above and then work my way further into mods as I drive it more on trails and learn what it can't do.

I am assuming that if I want more clearance, I will need to do a better lift than the leveling kit. I was not a big fan of the leveling kit because it seemed like adding stress to the existing suspension. But it did give more clearance for my 285/70/17 tires. However, I don't want to go huge on this lift, so 6" and greater is not in my mind. I think a 3-4" lift would be OK at the most because I do not want the center gravity to be too high.

I have seen comments that improving wheel travel with a lift is the way to go. Excuse the ignorant, but can someone explain what this wheel travel is?
I also saw from Bill 1960 that any lift greater than the leveling kit would also need the aftermarket spindles for the IFS.
I also saw another comment that some cross-member drops look like they are asking to hit a boulder.

Given the lift, what system would you recommend? What brands are good, and what sucks? I know I will probably sacrifice ride quality for a lift, but I don't want to feel like I am passing a kidney stone while driving it, so something with good ride quality would be nice.

I know there are lots of options. I am not trying to build an off-road racer, but I do want to increase its capabilities. With everyone's help, I am hoping that I can narrow down the list more and know what will hit my budget.

I am curious about this comment from Bill 1960...
"I like the ride of IFS, so I’ll be swapping in the center section from 2500 should I get that deep into the pool."
Is there any write-up about that?

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
It sounds like you are on the right track 3-4 inches lift is enough for most off road travel. I have King suspension up front my struts are about 4 inches longer than stock and with my set up I am getting around 10 inches of travel. I have a Rancho kit that is no longer available... (Sorry)

My ride quality is much better than stock there is no reason you can't get a lift and better ride too. On the highway it rides very smooth and when it comes to off road I can hit a 1 foot deep washout at 40 or 50 mph and it is no big deal.

If you are going to mount 34-35 inch tires you will need to re-gear it or it will be a slug and get 10-12 mpg.

OP
OP
gmartin1215

gmartin1215

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like you are on the right track 3-4 inches lift is enough for most off road travel. I have King suspension up front my struts are about 4 inches longer than stock and with my set up I am getting around 10 inches of travel. I have a Rancho kit that is no longer available... (Sorry)

My ride quality is much better than stock there is no reason you can't get a lift and better ride too. On the highway it rides very smooth and when it comes to off road I can hit a 1 foot deep washout at 40 or 50 mph and it is no big deal.

If you are going to mount 34-35 inch tires you will need to re-gear it or it will be a slug and get 10-12 mpg.

Thanks!

Just to be clear in your comment, you used to have the Rancho 4" lift, but now you have the King suspension?

If so, would you mind sharing what parts these are?

What are you using for the rear?

When I looked at your build thread, I saw the Rancho lift. Do you have any build pics for the front and back with your current system?