I only drive rural country roads, will RE-GEN function a-okay ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoNoGo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Local dealer called last evening offering me dibs on a '23 Suburban with Duramax coming in March and they're offering me great price on my Tahoe trade.. but concerned whether I drive enough for Re-Gen to cycle properly and not cause me problems ?

5 days a week I drive 2-stretches (going and coming) of 8-mile long rural road each at 55-64 mph plus another 2 stretches of 8-mile gravel/paved roads at 25-45 MPH each.

Then 3 days a month I drive (going & coming) 25 miles at 55-64 mph each, but passing thru 3 small towns where I have to slow to 35mph or come to a full stop.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The new systems are pretty smart. I would assume based on what you travel you won't have any issues. If you stop before it ends, it will pickup where it left off the next drive cycle. Not sure if the new ones show a REGEN ACTIVE or not, but that could help when it's going on and allow for a little longer route if needed. They also should be able to complete a regen in park too. At least all the bigger trucks I've used have that capability.

Depending on your need for a diesel or not may also play a part. With that low of weekly mileage I'm not sure the return for the upcharge will be paid back in any timely fashion. But, there is also the benefit of not having to worry about all the stupid engine issues that seem to be too common lately

OP
OP
GoNoGo

GoNoGo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My preference for diesel is due to my filling up fewer times per month, and in my experience the Suburban rides a little better than Tahoe :thumbsup:

Brand0n

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They don’t show regen active but do notify if you need to keep driving to complete. Never had that happen personally 10k miles in. Primarily city driving / <5 mile trips.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’ll be fine. You probably wouldn’t have a huge cost savings over say a 5.3 but if you would like or prefer the engine, then go for it.
I short trip mine for weeks on end and then take 100 mile blast. Never hear a thing out of her either way.
I also second the fact that you don’t have to fill up near as often. When I’m short tripping it, I can go a month on one tank.

OP
OP
GoNoGo

GoNoGo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was already shopping to trade my Tahoe for a 6.2 Suburban, so yesterday when dealer had the Duramax powertrain Suburban available, I figured why not..

..as long as the Re-Gen wouldn't be an issue :thumbsup:

OP
OP
GoNoGo

GoNoGo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealership delivered the new Duramax Suburban HC yesterday, drove it a few miles last night and another 50 miles today.. engine noise is more quiet than my same 6.2L HC Suburban.

First thoughts are the transmission needs slightly more coaxing when climbing the same paved hilly roads at the speed limit as compared to the gasser but I need more time behind both, back to back before making any conclusion.

I really like the Diesel, glad I bode my time and waited for a dealer to pop up out of the blue with an offer, not sure that whether I special ordered one if I'd want it equipped any differently, triple white and mocha-brown seating.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons