I joined the 21 master class

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We ran the Michelins on our '11 Escalade and '15 Suburban and loved them, even at around $1,500/set and we got 60-70k miles per set.

However, it is my understanding for '21 GM worked with the tire manufacturer on the compound for improved traction including pretty impressive stopping distances.

I would say I think these will give the Defenders a run for their money, check back with me in 50k to see how they have held up.

I tried to gather information about the tire. The 111h wasn’t listed on bf goodrich’s website. Even though the alenzas are original equipment tires on Chevy pick ups before the Tahoe’s there are not enough reviews to categorize the tire on tire rack. But almost every review was negative.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OEM's sign huge supply contracts for tires and believe me their choice is all about the least expensive tire that will get the unit thru about 20K miles....
I've never had an OEM tire that has "Impressed" me enough to want to replace it with the same !

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried to gather information about the tire. The 111h wasn’t listed on bf goodrich’s website. Even though the alenzas are original equipment tires on Chevy pick ups before the Tahoe’s there are not enough reviews to categorize the tire on tire rack. But almost every review was negative.

The Alenza came standard on the 2012 Tahoe and I put 35,000 miles on the original set. After 8 years they were starting to ride a bit rough because of the rubber hardening but they still had plenty of tread. I liked them so well I replaced them with the exact same tire this new set rides even smoother and quieter. I am not sure how they could be any better they've never broken traction barrelling around traffic up through mountains and they go through snow. Plus I got them for $129 each after the Bridgestone promotional Visa. My one qualm is they are pressure sensitive, when temperatures rise and pressure too they will provide a bit of vibration and harsh ride. Keep them at 32-33 PSI cold and not over 35 PSI warm and they are good to go. Other than that it is an excellent tire that looks good and is a real value, internet lore aside, IMO.

OP
OP
B

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Alenza came standard on the 2012 Tahoe and I put 35,000 miles on the original set. After 8 years they were starting to ride a bit rough because of the rubber hardening but they still had plenty of tread. I liked them so well I replaced them with the exact same tire this new set rides even smoother and quieter. I am not sure how they could be any better they've never broken traction barrelling around traffic up through mountains and they go through snow. Plus I got them for $129 each after the Bridgestone promotional Visa. My one qualm is they are pressure sensitive, when temperatures rise and pressure too they will provide a bit of vibration and harsh ride. Keep them at 32-33 PSI cold and not over 35 PSI warm and they are good to go. Other than that it is an excellent tire that looks good and is a real value, internet lore aside, IMO.

You are not comparing apples to apples here. The alenzas of old are not the current alenzas aos offered on the 21 Tahoe. Different tread and construction. The alenzas of which you speak are not even offered in the 275/50/22 size used by the current Tahoe.
Further the alenza aos 111h are a 310$ tire currently used on the 21 Tahoe. And they are the most expensive tire listed on tire rack in this size.

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are not comparing apples to apples here. The alenzas of old are not the current alenzas aos offered on the 21 Tahoe. Different tread and construction. The alenzas of which you speak are not even offered in the 275/50/22 size used by the current Tahoe.
Further the alenza aos 111h are a 310$ tire currently used on the 21 Tahoe. And they are the most expensive tire listed on tire rack in this size.

There is an Alenza and an Alenza Plus, the one I speak of is the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza and they look exactly the same and ride a little better than the OEMs they replaced. The reason I mentioned them is I have a hard time believing the negative things said about them, all contrary to my experience driving on them for over nine years. These covid prices have to be factored when pricing anything today.

OP
OP
B

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is an Alenza and an Alenza Plus, the one I speak of is the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza and they look exactly the same and ride a little better than the OEMs they replaced. The reason I mentioned them is I have a hard time believing the negative things said about them, all contrary to my experience driving on them for over nine years. These covid prices have to be factored when pricing anything today.

Tire size 275/50/22. Go to tire rack.com and look at the tires. There are 9 tires offered in this size. And one of them the Michelin’s ltx premier has been discontinued.
You can even look at the tread design. Compare it to the alenza plus in size that was on your 2012 Tahoe. It’s not the same tire in any way. I’ve had 20 different Tahoe’s and suburbans since 1995. I should get a fleet discount from Chevrolet and Michelin. Lol

I don’t think COVID pricing is that big of a deal. I think the 22 inch Michelin’s I bought today are about 30$ more a tire than the 20 inch tire I bought 2 years ago

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not the one who brought up Alenza I'm only telling those who might care that contrary to what they hear on the internet they are good tires. And this is based on the cheaper non-plus model so I would imagine the more expensive plus would be even more bestest. As far as being the same tire, the ones I purchased are almost identical to the original. If you didn't know what to look for you couldn't tell them apart... and they are still available. So whatever you thought you read in my post I can't imagine. If you have a particular tire to compare a link might be helpful and we'll go from there.

As far as pricing just last fall I was finding all kind of deals and price matching. I'm looking for a pair of tires for my mothers car and I'm not finding the deals that were easily found last fall. Your experience might be different, who knows.

OP
OP
B

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The discussion in this thread is about my purchase and the mods I made to her, including the tires. One participant asked if the Michelin’s made that much of a difference. I replied yes, why they did and an additional motivating factor about why I traded them in. I expressed my reasoning for trading in an oem tire that current users are saying they are getting 30k miles on them. You brought up the alenzas you had on your 2012 Tahoe, that you drove for 8 years. The tires you bring up are not even offered in the size needed for the 22” wheel on the 21 Tahoe. This section of the site is for 2021 Tahoe’s Yukon’s etc.

Last edited:

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My apologies for any misunderstandings and congratulations on your purchase.

Was the OEM tire a Goodrich or an Alenza tire? I see you have the premier and if I order that is the trim I will have so it is of interest.

Gibby13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the article about the stopping distances of the '21's and it does mention tweaks to the tires a couple times - https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a35048882/tahoe-yukon-escalade-braking-performance/

I don't know, but I find this impressive

The best of the bunch, a 2021 Suburban High Country, only needed 166 feet of runway to do the job. That's better than all kinds of smaller, nimbler cars, including a Mazda 3 we recently tested, and it's only six feet off the mark set by an Audi RS6 Avant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts