I found my dream Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shunto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whats not to love?
I rented one of these once and it was a joy. is the 5.3 a V8 or 6? Ive always wondered what the most popular color was too.... around here in NY it's Black hands down..

Greeco

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Whats not to love?
I rented one of these once and it was a joy. is the 5.3 a V8 or 6? Ive always wondered what the most popular color was too.... around here in NY it's Black hands down..

The 5.3L is a V8 but can feel under powered and sluggish (I live in Colorado so the altitude doesn't help). I see a lot of black and silver Tahoes around here. Mine is black and looks sharp!

Shunto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahhh understood.. Most of the time if folks dont like their Tahoe it's the lack of power..
I've always said that that a black anything will always look sharp if properly maintained.

thirdcoast

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats on joining the L9H club!! Not many of us around.

I really like the color of your Tahoe.. Mine is Gold Mist or as the Boss says, "Champagne Silver".

I searched for a long time before I found mine and it only had 30K on it when I had it shipped to Texas..

You can see what I have done in my sig, but I will caution you that the single 3.5" exhaust cannot be beat unless you pony up for ARH long tube headers.. I talked to Borla, , Corsa & Magnaflow and nobody makes a cat back system for this vehicle. Plus they all said that the exhaust system from the factory is extremely good. All I did is add a Flowmaster Big Block 50 Series and it sounds "Loud Enough" and has Zero Drone at cruise, which down here is 80-85...

I had a tune done by Nelson Performance and added the MIT.. thats it and it will run fast enough that you will need to buy V rated tires.. I also upgraded the brakes to the Baer EradiSpeed Rotors along with their pads.. you will be glad you did especially after the BB tune..

I am up to 43K miles on mine as I only use it to run around on weekends and go to a couple of podunk car shows..where nobody will believe that it is a 6.2 from the factory..

It sure surprises the Hemi & TRD truckies when they want to play..

Oh, by the way, they made 620 of these trucks in 2009..

Good luck and have fun,

Thirdcoast

IMGP0975.JPG.72850fe868fdd0f100b84db3d9aea6ca.JPG IMGP0973.JPG.d85ad00c8e4743b95b755d0c7da31dcf.JPG

Last edited:

tsuintx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn!!! Imthought I knew quite a bit about the background of these things, but wasn't aware of the 6.2 Tahoe. :shakehead:

Very nice!!! Now I know what to look out for when it's time to replace wife's Tahoe in the next year or two. Loved the 07 Escalade she had a few years ago, but kind of prefer the plain old Tahoe a bit more on the looks department over the Eskynor Denali.

OP
OP
mikeyss

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome and advice, Thirdcoast. I really like you Tahoe, yours looks even more like a sleeper than mine does. It is funny you mention about unsuspecting Hemi's, as I just had an encounter with one. Was travelling up towards the Eisenhower Tunnel in the middle Lane just cruising and I happened to pass a new Hemi Ram that was in the left lane trapped behind slower cars. Well after I just went by him normally, it must have not sat well with him, so he got behind me, then into the right lane and I saw him quickly approaching. I let him get within 3 car lengths, then I put the hammer down. Now, we are over 10k feet above sea level, and I still managed to put at least 6 car between us. He didn't want to play anymore after a few mins. I let him pass me when we went down the mountain, and he kind of lingered around me, as if confused why a Tahoe kicked his ass so bad. I love that it's such a sleeper!!

So far all I have is the MIT intake. I am planning better to get better sway bars, better tires and wheels (something more stock), longtube headers, a tune, and because I'm VERY OCD, going to have my exhaust shop do another custom true dual system like they did for my 05 Tahoe. I know the factory system is awesome, and I'm not expecting any gains, but I love true duals and the sound, and equal steam coming out in the winter.

I still am in awe that I have one of 620 made, that completely blows my mind, thanks for sharing that.

Last edited:

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice looking Tahoe man! That 6.2 is a beast! Cool that you have one of only 620 tahoes built with a 6.2! Sounds like you're enjoying it too! I do agree that the 5.3 is just under powered. That was one of the big selling points that made my decision on buying a Denali instead of some of the other SUVs i considered including the other gms. I love that with my 6.0 I can out drive a lot of my friends' big trucks haha. I out horsed my moms 5.7 hemingrand Cherokee limited last night. It was hilarious.

Last edited:

MichaelSE

2010 2500
Reaction score
Nice find, OP! Extremely rare. Take great care of it :D

The 5.3L is a V8 but can feel under powered and sluggish (I live in Colorado so the altitude doesn't help).

Totally agree. I test drove several Suburbans with the 5.3s before picking up one with a 6.0 L76. The 5.3 just feels underpowered for such a heavy vehicle. It might work fine for Silverados, but a Suburban is 600-800 lbs heavier than a comparably optioned crew cab Silverado. Even a Tahoe is around 300 lbs heavier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jemilioflores89

Latest posts