I am thinking of painting the stock 17" wheels with a rattle can.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

afishinado

Reaction score
I am getting a 12 Tahoe LT. Black with 17" stock rims. I don't plan on doing serious modifications, but I want to do some. I am thinking my own version of a Harley Davidson version... Since I have a new Harley Roadglide in black it would be knda cool. I already have some Harley badges picked out, Road King emblems and where I would put them on it...

I really like those wheels I have seen that are all black (glossy) with just the outer 1" or so unpainted. I think if I hit the wheels with a pressure washer, washed well with Dawn to remove the wax and spent some time taping off the edge.....
Anyone else done this?

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't plan on doing serious modifications

that's what they all say... at first :lol2:

I really like those wheels I have seen that are all black (glossy) with just the outer 1" or so unpainted. I think if I hit the wheels with a pressure washer, washed well with Dawn to remove the wax and spent some time taping off the edge.....
Anyone else done this?

I've seen a lot of wheels painted, and if prepped correctly, will last. But you can get them professionally painted for less than $200 and would hold up better

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm voting definitely NO to rattle can painting of wheels. And really I'd vote no on painting OEM 17's as I've never seen them look good but that's just on opinion. Definitely throw up pics once you're done, though :waytogo:

OP
OP
afishinado

afishinado

Reaction score
Thanks for the toughts guys..

I WILL limit the mods on it... Blessed with enough other toys to play with.

If I find a shop that would do them for $200 I wouldn't hesitate a second. I'm betting it would take all day to do them myself. I don't plan on taking the tires off and all that, just clean, mask what I want to stay aluminum, paint and put back on. What I don't want to happen is to see it come coing off at a car wash.
I'm pretty good with a rattle can and those wheels are busy enough that even if the paint got a run in it you'd never notice it. I'm thinking it would work... If not, I will revert to my favorite saying: ' Life is all about how you handle plan B'

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PLEASE DON'T DO IT.

And yes I was yelling....

I had plastidipped my 17's in black. IMHO they look horrible.

The wheels looks even smaller and the truck looks like a Government vehicle........and not "The Federal Cool" type, but the "Local City fleet" type.

Just do it right the first time......... and since you are not doing any more mods you can at least do one right.

Get 20's or 22's.

OP
OP
afishinado

afishinado

Reaction score
PLEASE DON'T DO IT.

And yes I was yelling....

Get 20's or 22's.

Sorry friend. I like the wheels on your 'burb', I'm probably not going that route. I do it right as far as I'm concerned, I have a lot of other toys that are more funner (4 cars, 4 Harleys, 2 boats), the Tahoe is my workhorse, it's working when everything else is hiding from the rain.

I'm an old guy.... Every time I see the 22" aftermarket wheels on a Tahoe, I expect to hear rap music or a bass speaker that drowns out my Harley... This is why they make vanilla, chocolate and pistacio nut...

Anyway..... Coming up on the time to do it.... Anyone else done it yet?

Last edited:

baggedlvintegra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plastidip FTW! Cheap, easy, lays down great even for novice painters and is completely reversible. Had my wheels done for over a year without any problems, scratches, chips nothing! You can even pressure wash them but for best results hand wash with microfiber cloth and armorall, yes armorall! They will look brand new each time you armorall them...

IMAG0114.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n