I am new here and picked up a 2000 Yukon XL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bravo2

Reaction score
I picked up a 2000 yukon xl 2wd last week. I never had a suburban before and i do like it a lot. I wished i had one sooner. I needed the room with the new second child a 4 month old. I wished it was 4wd but i could not find one in the price range I could not find one that was not asking a lot. It has 141,000 miles on it. I paid 5300.00 for it. Its a 5.3L and right now I am researching for some new tires for it. I will be getting tires in a month or two and during this time I will be going through everything on it to be sure everything is good on it. Soon as I can get it cleaned up from all the snow salt I will post a pic. I do enjoy driving it but parking will take some getting use to,lol.

The tires on it now is Kuhmo 255x70x16 AT. I am interested in the Michelin LTX AT and maybe there LTX M&S tires. I read a little on the Gen grabber AT tire and some on the Firestone discovery LE. What do you recommend? I don't want a noisy tire but want one handles good in rain,ice,mud. It will not really be off road any much but I want to be able to handle mud just incase. What size to get? 265 or 285 and also 70 or 75?

I have one key and a remote and need another remote. Not sure how that works if you got to program one to vehicle or not when you get one. I did read on it about the numbers got to match though on the remote for that year. Who has the best price online to get a remote? I got a manual coming also since it did not come with one. I need toget a mechanic manual for it.

I would like to check into the recalls I seen listed for these vehicles but can't get much info online so far about it. I guess i would have to go to a dealer and check.

I am wanting to try out the Sea Foam Creep besides the regular sea foam. How is the best way of using the creep in the TB?

I am going to be changing the serpetine belts since they were not changed since 80,000 miles. Are the goodyear brand gator serpentine belts real good? I was told they are quieter and last longer but i know nothing about them. Anyone recommend a different belt instead?

Last edited:

rdtahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I picked up a 2000 yukon xl 2wd last week. I never had a suburban before and i do like it a lot. I wished i had one sooner. I needed the room with the new second child a 4 month old. I wished it was 4wd but i could not find one in the price range I could not find one that was not asking a lot. It has 141,000 miles on it. I paid 5300.00 for it. Its a 5.3L and right now I am researching for some new tires for it. I will be getting tires in a month or two and during this time I will be going through everything on it to be sure everything is good on it. Soon as I can get it cleaned up from all the snow salt I will post a pic. I do enjoy driving it but parking will take some getting use to,lol.

The tires on it now is Kuhmo 255x70x16 AT. I am interested in the Michelin LTX AT and maybe there LTX M&S tires. I read a little on the Gen grabber AT tire and some on the Firestone discovery LE. What do you recommend? I don't want a noisy tire but want one handles good in rain,ice,mud. It will not really be off road any much but I want to be able to handle mud just incase. What size to get? 265 or 285 and also 70 or 75?

I have one key and a remote and need another remote. Not sure how that works if you got to program one to vehicle or not when you get one. I did read on it about the numbers got to match though on the remote for that year. Who has the best price online to get a remote? I got a manual coming also since it did not come with one. I need toget a mechanic manual for it.

I would like to check into the recalls I seen listed for these vehicles but can't get much info online so far about it. I guess i would have to go to a dealer and check.

I am wanting to try out the Sea Foam Creep besides the regular sea foam. How is the best way of using the creep in the TB?

I am going to be changing the serpetine belts since they were not changed since 80,000 miles. Are the goodyear brand gator serpentine belts real good? I was told they are quieter and last longer but i know nothing about them. Anyone recommend a different belt instead?

Tires - Strongly recommend Grabbers, I put em on my '00 Tahoe at 100K miles, best tire I ever had on it (had Goodyears, they sucked, Cooper Discoverers, they were OK, Firestones, they sucked). Go to Tire Rack and read the comparative survey charts on it, ranked them #1, and they were relatively cheap compared to Michelin and other. Taller sidewall = smoother ride. I put the OEM stock size on, 265/70 - 16. Truck has never rode this well, also did an alignment when I put the tires on.

Manual - http://www.gm.com/gmownercenter/gm/ - sign up and download a PDF manual from this site.

key fob - http://www.keyless-remotes.com/Categories.bok?category=Remotes:Chevrolet:2000:Tahoe - try these guys, was going to get a cover from them but never did. Check their prices, might be good.

Recalls - check http://www.carcomplaints.com/Chevrolet/Tahoe/2000/tsbs.shtml, or, http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/downloads/index.cfm . If you know someone who subscibes to AllData, that would be a good source.

Seafoam seems to be good product, have only used the stuff into the gas though. Careful with the TB, might just want to try the gas treat first and see how it goes.

Hope that helps, good luck with it!

jayray

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Rear brakes

Weak link on this model year is the sticking calipers in the rear. keep an eye on the right rear for sure. Oem pads last 60 k and after market get 25 or 30 k. Great trucks because of the smooth ride. Get a good all season tire to keep the sound down. enjoy your great truck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjhorst14