HYPERtech vs. superchips cortex or diablo sport

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

localceleb85

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i have an 08 tahoe 4.8L with a k&n cai, gibson cat back and in the market for a programmer. im already aware of black bear tuing but im not interested in sending anything out. so pretty much the choices above are what im interested in, so anyone with experience in theses chips please HELP!!!

iwaslowr

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
Reaction score
...im already aware of black bear tuing but im not interested in sending anything out...

Blackbear can work with you on not having to remove your ECM/TCM, but it will take additional effort(and money) to do so... unless you want to just get an in-person tune. Here is a link to the different options you have with them: http://www.blackbearperformance.com/services.asp

I have had both a Predator programmer tune and also a Blackbear tune. The Predator programmer was used while running my stock 17" wheels, then I went back to stock and got a Blackbear tune after installing my 26's. Performance was improved with both however the difference I noticed was that the Blackbear tune's increase in performance was noticeable from idle up whereas the Predator tune was not until 3000RPM and above. Drivability is another plus of the BB tune... transmission adjustments between the two tunes mentioned above are also a night and day difference. Blackbear made my transmission shift and respond to throttle position the way it should for best performance and drivability, which was not noticed (or not included) with the Predator tune. I never made it to the track but I'd be willing to bet that my Yukon with the heavier 26's and BB tune would have a quicker 1/4 mile time than it would have with the stock wheels and Predator tune.

AquinoSteven

Key and Spacer Guru
Reaction score
i have the predator now and its not bad. I could tell it made a difference. Out of all the tuners on the market, this is the best one. When i get the chance i will be going over to a BB tune though. You will be happy with the Diablo. I would stay away from everything else

rich5368

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never used the Diablo but I have a SuperChips on mine now. Wasn't expecting much so I wasn't dissappointed when it didn't make a world of difference. I do enjoy the much improved throttle response though. That and I got it for $100 off a guy selling his truck.

mtbennett24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know a lot of members are high on the BB tune, but I am looking for opinion on the Diablo Predator. I have an 09 z71 with 6spd transmission. Currently there is no TCM support for the 6spd unless I get an live tune or purchase the EFILive FlashScanV2 which is a pretty expensive option and from what I have read can be difficult to learn to use. The Diablo Predator includes some generic tunes for different octanes but also supports the ability for the user to data log and adjust spark adjustment and injector slope. Further more, the Predator supports email order tunes where you log data and send to a custom tuner who sends a tune back that you can upload to the truck (knock retard, afr ratios, spark adjustment, throttle settings, WOT/PE settings, torque management settings, etc). I guess my question is since there is no hand held support for the 6spds yet (less the FlashScanV2) would the Predator be a good option given that it allows you modify tunes, add custom tunes, and flash back to stock for trips to the dealer?

Thanks!

Fast55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had Diablo on a 5.3 Z71 truck and while it was definitely an improvement, it didn't do everything I wanted and didn't seem to do anything off idle and below 2500-3000 RPM. I was in the same boat as you with my new Tahoe being a 6.2 6-speed 4X4. NOTHING will help the crappy shifting except an in person tune or a V2. I bought the V2 (see the Diablo thread). Yes, it's expensive, and yes, it's a PITA to learn to use it, pull log after log for Justin to analyze, and finally flash his custom tune. BUT, it's a custom tune and you will not get anything like this from a hand held until the Autocal is available (I gave up waiting). Spend $300 for a little help, or spend $800 for a BIG difference. If you're not worried about losing the tune to a dealer flash, wait for an in person tune, it's no more expensive than a Diablo or Superchips tuner.

jee123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do the bb tune it is well worth it...dont let fear keep you from power

mtbennett24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not asking if BB is worth it. By all accounts on this forum it certainly is. I am looking for opinions on a hand held specifically for the 6spd which doesn't offer much for tuning the TCM. Right now the options are $800 for FlashScan and Bb tune with tcm support. Or $300 for diablo and no tcm support but custom tuning. I guess the real question is $500 worth it for TCM support in a hand held.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TiGrayMSM