Hybrid transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the Transmission operating temp I am typically seeing 160's I noticed it was at 167f the other day on a long highway trip where I was running 75 to 80mph for a hundred or so miles. My 09 has a drain plug in the trans pan. At 200k it still looked pink but I drained what would come out of the trans pan drain plug (approx 10 Qts) and replaced it with new Dexron VI. From what I understand a 2ML70 trans has a overall capacity of 13 quarts so just using the drain plug swaps out the majority of the fluid. Figured since it looked pretty clean that it had been changed out by the previous owner. I had some clunky / jerky semi stall type issues before I recently changed the Hybrid Battery now it is a really rare occasion to have anything noticeable but I think with the complexity of the system it is going to have an occasional hiccup. If you are having some weird issues first check the 12V battery under the hood it good there then have the Hybrid Battery checked. The typical scenario of the semi-stall/clunk/jerky motion is when the Hybrid battery has reached end of life. It cannot reliably supply enough amperage to run the electric drive motor and turn the engine over to start it quickly enough to avoid the hesitation (semi-stall) The Hybrid battery packs last a long time but mine at 10 years old and +200k was just used up it was at around 23% of original capacity. Most likely most owners with old and high mileage is in about the same shape if not worse. Problem is the GM Two Mode system is a discontinued model since 2013 so the New battery packs are hard to find and very expensive. The companies out there refurbishing these Two Mode packs are relying on old batteries that they test to match up, you are probably getting a refurbished pack that is around 50% of the original capacity. Hopefully the Quantam Glass battery technology will be perfected in the next few years and we can step away from the these Nickel Metal Hydrid units.
View attachment 219873
right side is sample of fluid before changing off the dipstick, left side is new fluid from container.
fuel matters as well. 6.0 they love chevrons or texaco. fuel. that baby fires right up
No hesitation.. or use bottle of techron on every fill up

also stay out of 30mph. to avoid the dreaded 8 cylinder deactivation AFM. mode. pick 25 mph or 35 mph. its ******* the battery when you enter the 8-AFM start/stop loop.

OP
OP
M

mtown27

Reaction score
Dropped the Yukon off at the dealer this week because the transmission has been having some issues. They pulled the pan and there's metal shavings galore. I'm guessing the hybrid trans fluid pump has given out and caused the wet clutches to grind away at themselves. Quoted $4000 for the transmission and about $3000 (20 hours) for installation. Has anyone ever had to replace their transmission? $7K is steep for a new trans and install. I just bought a new ride last week so I'm not in a rush to repair this, but I also don't want to drop $7k on a truck with 220k miles on it. Are there used transmissions out there? Thoughts are appreciated.

OP
OP
M

mtown27

Reaction score
20 hours labor is absolute horse shit!! Don't let that shop replace it!

Apparently it takes longer due to it being a hybrid. I do know it needs a new wiring harness because they changed the connectors on it after 2009. I could buy a reman unit online for $3000 ($1000 core) but I’ve only done motor work on this truck. Never had to disconnect the hybrid battery or remove any hybrid components.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Apparently it takes longer due to it being a hybrid. I do know it needs a new wiring harness because they changed the connectors on it after 2009. I could buy a reman unit online for $3000 ($1000 core) but I’ve only done motor work on this truck. Never had to disconnect the hybrid battery or remove any hybrid components.
need muti-meter and class 0 gloves to work on it safely

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just pull the hybrid battery disconnect it will kill all the power from the hybrid battery. And of course disconnect the 12V batery under the hood and swap out your transmission.
IMG_6713.jpg
IMG_6719.jpg
IMG_6720.jpg

OP
OP
M

mtown27

Reaction score
Anyone know about having to program the transmission once it’s installed? Or is that dealership talk for “don’t attempt this at home”

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
20 hours labor is absolute horse shit!! Don't let that shop replace it!
it only takes a hour or two at the most.. 20 hours is like a full rebuild

Anyone know about having to program the transmission once it’s installed? Or is that dealership talk for “don’t attempt this at home”
it should drop right in reuse your old control module save the other as a spare

you will need one from a 2008 or 2009 tahoe/yukon or escalade
the 2010-13 have different performance characteristics(they are slower and have slower 0-60)

OP
OP
M

mtown27

Reaction score
What’s the procedure for pulling the trans on a hybrid? I’ve installed some TH400 and 700R4 10+ years ago but those were on older trucks. I’m guessing disconnect battery, drain fluid and go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne