HVAC Control Head?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
drdave81

drdave81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still working this out, also have a couple other things that sidetracked me. I grabbed two actuators from the junk yard. It's been raining whenever I have time. Hope to get one installed today and give it a try.

OP
OP
drdave81

drdave81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got around to doing this. New (used) actuator took care of it. All good now. Air temp takes FOOORREEVERRR to go from hot to cold, but that will be for another day.

malmed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am having a very similar problem... 03 Yukon Denali, digital climate control... Hot air blowing out drivers vents when on AC and AC blows passenger side just fine.... I put in a new lower blend door actuator, did the reset procedure, and still the same. Manually move the door and it blows correct... I pulled the new actuator out, to watch it move, plugged into the harness, no movement... disconnected ground for 10 minutes, started truck, no movement on actuator. Tried rest procedure once more, watching actuator, no movement no matter where I set controls... When I try the reset, it does not seem to go thru any 'system test', it sets itself to 74 degrees and auto, but it never changes between floor, vents, defrost, hot, cold, nothing.... just sits. If change to defrost, it goes to defrost, or lower heat if I switch it, but the actuator never moves.

So, now I'm thinking there was never a problem with my original actuator, it was the digital climate control all along?

Anyone have an idea for me to try?

malmed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Original problem was only hot air blowing out of drivers vents.... I installed a 'new' used digital control unit, recalibrated, and the actuator still does not move... I cannot install it because the slot is in the wrong position... the door it controls only moves about 1/4 turn and the slot in the actuator will not line up with the position of the door.... but, just hanging there, plugged in, it never moves, and it is my second new one, neither moves.... all fuses are good... I don't know what to try next....

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
On an '03, wouldn't the digital control unit need to be programmed with the Tech 2 and TIS2000?

Fjs0001

Reaction score
Original problem was only hot air blowing out of drivers vents.... I installed a 'new' used digital control unit, recalibrated, and the actuator still does not move... I cannot install it because the slot is in the wrong position... the door it controls only moves about 1/4 turn and the slot in the actuator will not line up with the position of the door.... but, just hanging there, plugged in, it never moves, and it is my second new one, neither moves.... all fuses are good... I don't know what to try next....
The rear AC hot/cold door broke in my 05 Escalade. I grabbed an entire rear unit and three actuators out of an 02 Escalade to use in my 05. The 02 actuators had metal rotating shafts verses the plastic ones in my 05. I assumed they must be built better. None of the 02 actuators worked with my 05. I installed the old 05 actuator and it worked perfectly. Either all three of the 02 actuators were bad or GM changed something over the years. Maybe you have the wrong actuator model?

Or maybe the actuator rotated too far and the gears aren't meshed together inside it anymore. This happened to me once. I took it apart and realigned the gears. I then plugged it back up without mounting it so that I could get it to rotate to the correct position of the door. Once in position, I unplugged it to stop it from rotating. Then I installed the actuator and plug it back up for calibration.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got around to doing this. New (used) actuator took care of it. All good now. Air temp takes FOOORREEVERRR to go from hot to cold, but that will be for another day.
No problems removing the used ones from the junk yard trucks or installing them in your truck? No problems getting the new one lined up properly? I had all kinds of problems.

Last edited:

malmed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Either all three of the 02 actuators were bad or GM changed something over the years. Maybe you have the wrong actuator model?

I am thinking that may be the problem... I just ordered one from Amazon that said it was the right one for my Yukon.... then when it didn't work, I assumed my bad control unit ruined it, so I bought another one... they very well may have both been the wrong ones. Good call. Now... How do I find the right one? (I threw the original away, I may have a picture of it).

malmed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found a pic I took of the original...

20201127_204947.jpg

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The part number in your pic was replaced by 89018365, which is what I replaced my bad original (52402588) with in my 04 with auto climate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jake 2015 GMC Yuk