huge electric problems?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigchrisridge

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok guys I need some help here. I recently put a new head unit and speakers in my 99 tahoe. Before then my battery light was constantly blinking but just ignored it. Now my battery light blinks with the beat of the music and my voltmeter reads less than the usual 14 volts. Also when I turn the key to the on position the fuel gauge goes all the way past F then jumps back. Occassionally when i start it it will stall and I have to rev it to keep it running and if i turn the headlights on they dim to the beat of the music. I had the alternator tested last week at autozone and it read 13.4 volts. Today the headlights and radio were on and it stalled out on me while i was driving down the road. What do you guys think is wrong?

NoChrome

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you will prolly want bigger alternator cable to the battery and better ground from the battery to the chassis.

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
How old is your battery? and how damn loud is your music??!! get a capacitor on that thing if your bumping and shit. You should be around 14volts with the charging state..

hoserty

Reaction score
At 13.4 volts output from you alternator that is somewhat low you should see closer to 14.4 this can compound itself by not charging the battery completely then you add in a high draw audio system and it can head down hill real fast i would get your altenator replaced and get the battery checked to nake sure it is taking a full charge also it is the summer so if you dont have a maintence free battery make sure there is water inthe battery just a few suggestions to get you moving in the right direction

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trickystick19

Latest posts