How To: Yukon Door Molding Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I decided to go with body color door molding. Here's how I put it on.

I stopped by the dealership and took some measurements to see where the factory installed them. All I checked were around 1 inch from the bottom door crease. Here's a couple examples. Forgive my terrible photo skills.
IMG_4670_zpsn2titmyf.jpg

IMG_4677_zpsoknvnqk7.jpg

The front door molding essentially started at the rear edge of the front door. The rear door molding was about 1/16 of an inch back.
IMG_4669_zpsq0vr07si.jpg

IMG_4678_zps0vibgs4t.jpg

1 inch painter's tape was perfect as a guide. I used a continuous piece along the bottom door crease.
IMG_4681_zpsp5u2j60d.jpg

Then installed the trim.
IMG_4682_zpskrsa2we2.jpg

IMG_4683_zpsqwp0rpdd.jpg

GM was nice enough to mark which side they went on.
IMG_4680_zpsvf5ph1is.jpg

IMG_4685_zpsxufhcycl.jpg

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Matt, after 35+ yrs in Auto Body Shop management, I must give you a 12 out of 10. You did a fantastic job, well done as good as factory, nice clean ride.
David g.............:)

kurtibm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to add side moldings (likely the GM body-color ones) to my '15 LT. It appears to me that the outermost (widest point) of the door skins is on about the same horizontal plane as the 'Tahoe' letters, although it looks like the molding from the factory is placed somewhat in the indentation of the body line; and kind of low, especially useless if there is a truck/SUV parked next to you.
Are the Tahoe letters attached with 2 way tape, or? Has anyone removed them; if so any tips?
I am considering removing them and affixing the moldings about inline of where the letters are currently to take advantage of the outermost and higher alignment.
Thanks much!

704x-
4.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cmatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to add side moldings (likely the GM body-color ones) to my '15 LT. It appears to me that the outermost (widest point) of the door skins is on about the same horizontal plane as the 'Tahoe' letters, although it looks like the molding from the factory is placed somewhat in the indentation of the body line; and kind of low, especially useless if there is a truck/SUV parked next to you.
Are the Tahoe letters attached with 2 way tape, or? Has anyone removed them; if so any tips?
I am considering removing them and affixing the moldings about inline of where the letters are currently to take advantage of the outermost and higher alignment.
Thanks much!

704x-
4.jpg

The letters are held on with 3M double sided tape. Some fishing line, a heat gun and some adhesive remover should do the trick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kurtibm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you, Matt; mission accomplished and easy-peasy at that. Including rotary buffing 30 minutes start-to-finish.

kurtibm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanted to place the side molding where I feel the 'damage-zone' is (not low-down as does the factory). So (with suggestions from this forum - YAY!) I removed the 'Tahoe' door emblems - as, a) I am not a big fan of emblems and, b) the letters were aligned with where I wanted to align the side moldings.
I used 1.5" Trim-Gard side moldings with the angle ends. Their color code 040 is a perfect match for Summit White. These are molded in the color, not painted. For shucks I indented a sample with my fingernail it a couple of places and within a minute or so it had 'self-healed'.
$111.00 picked up at @ Beaver Stripes in Phoenix.

http://www.trim-gard.com/images/PDF/Trim-Gard_Brochure(print).pdf

View attachment 227878

View attachment 227881

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bone