How to unlink trailer turn lights from stop light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnnyCZ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi guys, a strange request here, but I'd like to ask if anybody knows how to unlink the stop light signal from the turn lights on the trailer connector? I need this for European plug where it's not allowed for the turn lights to engage on braking. We use amber lights only for turn signals.

I know that there is something like 4way converter, but not sure if that's what I'm looking for. Moreover I'd like to rather simply unlink the both signals somewhere in the fuse box or under dash. No need for additional relays in the rear..

I'm talking about 01-02 gm truck in general.

shreksbrother

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

The 4-pin adapter would still retain the stop/turn lights together. I think you will need to re-wire and make your own connection for this. I'm pretty sure there's no way around it. If I were accomplishing this project, I would get the turn signal wires from inside the cabin and the separate brake light from your center-mounted high brake light.

A helpful link for locating the turn signal wires:

http://shop.muthco.com/content/pdf/install/21000150.pdf

Good luck!
Adam.

OP
OP
johnnyCZ

johnnyCZ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, it's useful..
However I have this wiring diagram which looks more or less correct when looking over internet for another diagram sources. As per this diagram, the white wire goes through the underhood fuse box to the turn signal switch and then back to the trailer L/R trailer turn signals:

My understanding is that it should be enough to cut/disconnect this white wire to avoid the brake signal to go through the L/R trailer signals. I found some white wire leading to the steering column harness but it made no difference disconnecting it. Today, I will try to locate it somewhere in the underhood fuse box, let's see...

And I want to take the brake light from another source, that would be the easiest step.

EDIT: Ok, I just checked how does the full turn signal switch assembly with all connectors looks like and now I will have another potential wire to check

Last edited:
OP
OP
johnnyCZ

johnnyCZ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Got it! It's really this white wire in turn signal switch connector under dash. After disconnecting, the trailer turn lamps don't light when stepping on a brake.
DSC_0020 3.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GMC Burbalade

Latest posts