How to replace your fuel pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m1n3r

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
couple differences from the 4 door and 2 door so far. Im at the point where i have the straps holding the tank completely off and the tank wont budge. I felt all around it and there is a big sticky seal on the front end of the tank. I loosened that my best. Im literally hanging on the tank and its not budging. I cant find any more bolts. Now im talking to myself. maybe its the gas i inhailed lol.

Last edited:

crueeldude13

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi folks long time lurker here. Finally doing major repairs to my yukon, crate engine, tires, wheels etc. I think I'm about to have to tackle this as well. When long idling or long trips around town my fuel pump starts a loud hum. I have a 1997 gmc yukon 4dr slt 4x4 5.7. I want to use oem parts, the only thing I can come up with is acdelco mu1609. Can anyone confirm? Also has anyone had any luck with an external fuel pump upgrade or can anyone post a link or pics to show where to cut the floor for an access panel in the 4dr models?
Thanks!

pvaldeben

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
smell gas in rear driver side tire.....

Been smelling fuel for about 2 weeks and finally took a look at the under carriage. No fuel drips but I saw fuel sweat that was damp to touch under the gas tank.

The Tahoe does not have any issues with the fuel pump just that it leaks.

Hope its just a fuel pump gas kit that can be replaced easily.

I have to fix it since i'm sure its dangerous.

Please let me know if anyone has tips for someone familiar with my situation.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know this goes without saying but ill say it anyway because ive seen a couple knuckle heads nearly do it when i was at UTI
make sure you run the gas tank dry before hand or siphon it out whatever

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
you can maybe rig up a pressure test fitting with a hose long enough to feed the tank of another car or two. will also need a relay by-passer to run the pump of battery till near empty. running the engine to do it may not work as the pressure drop out the port might let the injectors not have any to use. there is supposed to be a one wire connector in the bundle that feeds power to pump that factory uses to prime the entire system before first start.

Holt50

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the difference is between the fuel pump (complete unit) for a 2dr and a 4dr? No one seems to have the 2dr pump assemblies in stock, wonder how different they are...
I think I just put on a2door pump in my 4 door. Works fine

Holt50

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pulls yours out and go down to the parts store and see about comparing them side to side ... or you can just replace the pump part.
That's what I did I just replaced the pump

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlbertoTahoe2011