How to replace worn steering wheel controls?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DROCK84

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an 03 Denali with the newer style steering wheel where the buttons are mounted in the wheel itself. How do you remove these and replace them? Do I need to remove the airbag?

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Disconnect the battery. Use a tiny screw driver and pop them. Then come back and remove the airbag from the steering wheel. You’ll have to reroute the wiring harness from the steering wheel controls to give more slack for connecting and installing the new controls.

OP
OP
DROCK84

DROCK84

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Disconnect the battery. Use a tiny screw driver and pop them. Then come back and remove the airbag from the steering wheel. You’ll have to reroute the wiring harness from the steering wheel controls to give more slack for connecting and installing the new controls.

Darn, I really didn't want to have to remove the airbag.. I'm terrified of those things ever since I had one detonate on me :whymewhyme:

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just disconnect the negative battery terminal for at least ten minutes and you’ll be golden brother. It’s just a couple locking tabs on the sides and it pops right out.

OP
OP
DROCK84

DROCK84

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just disconnect the negative battery terminal for at least ten minutes and you’ll be golden brother. It’s just a couple locking tabs on the sides and it pops right out.

OK, I'll give it a go. LOL I'm assuming just use a small screw driver to pop the tabs?

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
You may not need to remove the air bag. It can be /has been done without. The buttons just pull out, so do that first. You just might have enough slack to change them. It is definitely a bit of a PITA.

Massfloefi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just thought I would let people know who are weary of changing their buttons that it is soooo much easier if you remove the steering wheel. This way you can get enough slack from the wires. I could not remove my two lower buttons with the steering wheel on and the airbag removed. There just wasn't enough slack no matter how much i tried to manipulate the wires.

Follow these instructions https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/how-to-remove-and-install-new-steering-wheel.44062/ for removing the airbag and steering wheel. The only difference for me was that I did not need a steering wheel puller. Just a little shake and a good pull and it came right off.

This is the harness you are looking to unmount circled in red below.

IMG_4266.JPG

Turn the steering wheel over and remove the two T20 torx bits holding the rear cover on.

IMG_4269.JPG

Use a screw driver or needle nose (if you can fit it) and compress the plastic anchor. Push it through releasing it from the steering wheel. This will give you all the slack you need in order to remove and install the switches.

IMG_4270.jpg

Put it all back together and your done. Enjoy.

Bombsquad85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just thought I would let people know who are weary of changing their buttons that it is soooo much easier if you remove the steering wheel. This way you can get enough slack from the wires. I could not remove my two lower buttons with the steering wheel on and the airbag removed. There just wasn't enough slack no matter how much i tried to manipulate the wires.

Follow these instructions https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/how-to-remove-and-install-new-steering-wheel.44062/ for removing the airbag and steering wheel. The only difference for me was that I did not need a steering wheel puller. Just a little shake and a good pull and it came right off.

This is the harness you are looking to unmount circled in red below.

View attachment 212215

Turn the steering wheel over and remove the two T20 torx bits holding the rear cover on.

View attachment 212216

Use a screw driver or needle nose (if you can fit it) and compress the plastic anchor. Push it through releasing it from the steering wheel. This will give you all the slack you need in order to remove and install the switches.

View attachment 212217

Put it all back together and your done. Enjoy.

Do you need go remove the wheel go extend the wires? Or can it be done still attached

Massfloefi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you need go remove the wheel go extend the wires? Or can it be done still attached

I personally had to remove the steering wheel in order to extend the wires and then remove the buttons. The top buttons might have had just enough slack to remove with the steering wheel still attached but the lower buttons would only come out 3/4 of the way.

Removing the steering wheel was super easy.

Bombsquad85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally had to remove the steering wheel in order to extend the wires and then remove the buttons. The top buttons might have had just enough slack to remove with the steering wheel still attached but the lower buttons would only come out 3/4 of the way.

Removing the steering wheel was super easy.

Ok thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2