How to: replace all 3 idler/tensioner pulleys on NNBS Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04ctd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the pulleys are all 15mm sockets.

you NEED some sort of ratchet that is air drive or battery,
or something, it's aLOT of turning. the bolts goes in to aluminum, and they are wrench tight all the way out. i could not turn mine with my fingers.

i drug out my ole wore out air ratchet, saved my knuckles & my testimony.

you have to hook a 15mm box end wrench on the top tensioner, then hook another box end over the open end, to get enough leverage sometimes.

DSC00057-1.jpg

DSC00058-1.jpg

i had one LOUD pulley, and the two tensioners were ~$33 each.
the idler was ~$11 (IIRC) so for less than $100, i could have my SUV as reliable as possible.

a tow is $50, so this is cheap insurance.

FWIW, you should throw on new belts (or at LEAST an AC belt, since you have to take so much off)

you have to take off the main belt to take off the AC belt,
and you have to take off the skid plate / splash guard (4 15mm bolts)

and you have to stick a ratchet in there, and release the tension on the AC tensioner, so the arm will move up, so you can access the bolt head.

belt on, bolt blocked:
DSC00083-1.jpg

belt off, access:

DSC00084-1.jpg

all the Pics:
http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b170/04vrscb/Tahoe-fan-belt-tensioner/?start=all

the thermostat is RIGHT THERE, and is 2 10mm bolts, you may as well do it.
and while you have it off, take the top radiator hose off, and flush the radiator out, and the engine. takes a few minutes, and gives you all new coolant in the system.

HtH?

---------- Post added at 10:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 PM ----------

FWIW, my 100k mile SUV sounded like a mobile junk yard on a remote start with the AC running.

now, even with the hood up, it is MUCH QUIETER. it made a HUGE difference in how loud it is, by doing all three.

at 100k miles, i would do the thermostat, radiator flush & fluid, both belts,
and all 3 tensioners.

good peace of mind, and it sounds like a new one!

Last edited:
OP
OP

04ctd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
we just did this on a buddies 2004 with 130k miles.

he was not complaining of noise, just doing the "I ain't buying a new car" maintenance to make it last another 100k, and both his tensioners rattled when shook by hand, and it made a HUGE difference in how quiet it was.

Juniorss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just an FYI.. My 2010 tahoe doesnt have a tensioner for the AC, it has one of those stretch fit belts.

nick2440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice writeup i have one squeeking and will be doing this soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomase1269

Latest posts