How to remove VHT nightshades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmyler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wasn't real sure where to put this but figured it should be under general something.

I was searching the internet on how to remove the stuff and couldnt' come up with anything definite everyone sort of argued about the best way. Well i tried a few different ways and i can say for certain the best way to remove it is with goo gone.

Some people were saying that it doesn't work but i'm convinced it was because there as a clear over it, you have to sand the clear off if there is any. I'll try to explain what i did.

I bought these tail lights from l.downen on the board, i'm sure a few of you saw them, they were completely black. I couldn't see through them at all. I started by trying to sand them down hoping the VHT would get a little more translucent since i want them smoked anyway. But it seemed as if i was getting no where with 800 to 500 grit paper so i went searching for another method.

Most people said that lacquer thinner would do it so i started there. It seemed to work 'OK'. I could tell there was black coming off but i was also scared to get down to the lights and the thinner eating up the plastic so i switched to goo gone since I've used it on plastic before to get bugs and other things off my headlights.

I started off by putting some on a microfiber towel and rubbing it in. I could tell it was eating the stuff away by how sticky and tar like it was getting, but it felt like i was just moving it around. So i switched to pouring it directly on the light. Worked like a charm, it was almost sheeting off. The excess that ran down the curve of the light was taking it off all on it's own.

Took some trial an error with the first light but i had it down by the second. I started in the middle of the light and poured a generous portion on the light. Gravity takes it down both sides of the light which help as you move outward. I would pour it on, let it set for 30ish seconds then i had a plastic putty knife and scraped it off. It was much more effective. Once the majority of it was gone i would pour some goo gone on my towel and rub until clean. Here is the first light where i started on the right side.

72be727d.jpg

You can see how thick it was. ended up going through a few rags and an entire small bottle of goo gone.

more pics:

After i finished

0a7ad02d.jpg

After i got all of it off i used some plasticX to polish and remove wahtever residue was there.

Crappy cell phone picture of before and after....
4fc50ed8.jpg

Anyway thought i would share since this stuff seems to be used quite frequently and there was no definitive answer online besides a few guys that went through a LOT of steps to get it off. Goo gone FTW!

Last edited:

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great info bro. You can also try extra stength acetone nail polish remover too, works like a charm.

B

OP
OP
jmyler

jmyler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great info bro. You can also try extra stength acetone nail polish remover too, works like a charm.

B

Someone else told me that too. never thought about it removing paint before but makes sense.

LazyAssLou

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am glad you were able to pick up the cheap lights and fix them! I was going to do the same to them. They look great bro!

OP
OP
jmyler

jmyler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am glad you were able to pick up the cheap lights and fix them! I was going to do the same to them. They look great bro!

I hope i didn't step on anyones toes. i waited a few days then had to pull the trigger.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dlshort21