How to remove and replace the power up/down seat motors on an NBS SUV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
For the last several months my driver seat would not move up or down. So this past weekend I removed the seat to replace the motors. The up and down I'm talking about is shown in the picture below.

SnipImage.JPG

I'm not going to go over the details on how to remove the seat, there are several videos on Youtube that show you how to to that.

Once you have the seat removed you need to remove the motors form the seat.

Finish Product 1.JPG

The socket you need is a star socket.

Socket needed to remove the motors and gears #2.JPG socket needed to remove the motors and gears #1.JPG

Remove the two bolts that hold them.

Remove the bolts holding the motors.JPG

Once you remove the bolts unplug the motor wires, please mark the wiring as to what motor it belongs to.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ivin74

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Continue from post #1

Now you need to cut off the retaining rod that holds the motors together. You will be doing this as the motors are still attached to the seat. The picture below shows the motors already removed from the seat. These are the replacement motors that I picked up from the junkyard. Anyways this picture is for reference only.

pic 1.JPG

You need to trim the bracket as shown in the picture below. By doing this the next step will be a lot easier. You will need to use a Dremel for the next two steps.

Seat bracket that needs trimming .JPG

Trim bracket Trimmed already.JPG

Now you can start cutting the rod.

pic 2.JPG

Rod already cut.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
ivin74

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Continue from post #2

Now that you have the rod cut you need to remove the rod and knock the second half out with a screwdriver.

Beat rod out with a hammer using a screw driver.JPG

The second half of the rod is pressed in, so you need to beat it off.

Rod already out.JPG

Now that the motors have been separated you can replace the broken motor and keep the one that works. In my case one of the motors was good and one was bad. Before you can start the assembly you need to buy a bolt and nut to attach the motors back. The bolts I bought are shown below.

Bolt and nut to attach the new motor.JPG

Once you have the bolt go ahead and reassemble everything back. The final product should look like the pictures below.

Finish product 3.JPG
Finish Product 1.JPG

You can now install the seat back into your rig.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ivin74

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Nice write up, appreciate it. Stainless bolt would be best for strength. Should be fine though.

I tried looking for one but could not find one that would fit the oem hole without having to drill every hole a size bigger to make it work.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried looking for one but could not find one that would fit the oem hole without having to drill every hole a size bigger to make it work.

It's good man, good job, we appreciate it. I'm just talking out of my ass, really good to see a write up.

Bama704

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ugh! Needing to do this but not sure I wanna go through the headache. Looks like it's I do it, or buy a new seat.

Thanks for the detailed write-up though. Extremely helpful.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's at least one YouTube video on this as well. This applies to all the GMT800 seats. I just haven't been able to bring myself to buying the used seat and making the change. Plus, the real hangup is "how long will the used motor work?"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberv96