How to recharge your AC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ravingmadman

Chief Knuckle Buster
Reaction score
We've had two threads on problematic A/C in the last couple days, and it is my belief that most A/C just needs a recharge, or it is an obvious problem, otherwise you need a shop to help you diagnose the problem. Not a whole lot of middle ground. If you want to understand how AC works, PM me, but this isn't the time/place. Here's how you do it, in really, really basic steps...

Go to Schucks and buy a really, really big can of 134a Refridgerant. You will need two big cans (at least) if your system is totally discharged. Get the one with the pistol grip, trigger, and pressure guage (like in the picture). It is reusable, so in the future if you're A/C isn't quite getting there, you can just buy a short bottle (like I did) and plus up your system.

Buy this:

Start your hoe, and turn the AC to max, if you have rear AC turn it to max too. Find the "low side service port" on the top of the engine (don't ask me, I'm not bankrupt:happy175:) here (click on the link- the arrow isn't really showing up in the thumbnail):

Unscrew the cap on it:

I recommend you put on some insulated gloves, because your hands will get cold coming up. Connect your bottle and hose thingy to it. It works like a regular high-pressure fitting like on an air compressor hose- pull the ring back, push the hose on the port until it clicks, then release the ring to lock the hose on the port. You will be able to read the AC system's pressure (or lack of) at this point. For about $20. :headbang:

As the pump cycles, you'll be able to watch the system charge and discharge on the pressure guage. The warning labels on the bottle are going to put the fear of the Holy Spirit into you warning you not to overcharge the system. I recommend you flagrantly disregard these warnings. Rock the bottle from upside down (12 o'clock) to it's side (3 o'clock) back and forth about every second, nice and gently. You'll feel the oil inside sloshing around. Pull the trigger on the bottle, and the pressure will drop to zero. Keep rocking the bottle back and forth so even amounts of gas and liquid enter the system.

Do this until your pressure is cycling in the blue range of the pressure gauge (25-45PSI) and/or your pump is staying on full time. I am not sure what the book says, but this is the point at which I stop, and get back in my hoe to enjoy the cool air.

Troubleshooting no pressure/no pump operation:
If your compressor isn't turning on, there's a safety that disables the pump if the pressure gets too low, so don't fret. When you connect the bottle up, and pull the trigger, when there's no pump operation, you'll develop really high pressure (150PSI+) until the system evens itself out. I had zero pressure, then put a 2-second burst in, not knowing any better, and my pressure spiked to about 150. I just kept adding though (i figured at least if something broke, I'd know what to fix, right?), and eventually the compressor started (that's a really good feeling) and the pressure immediately dropped. Then as the system filled, the needle fluctuated less and less with the pump cycles, until it was finally bouncing in the blue, and then staying pegged halfway between, with the compressor running 100% of the time. And some very cold air coming out.

Hope that helps!!! Best of luck!!:drunk:

Kjell

Rebelution

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I did this today and got the compressor to turn on, which sounds like shit by the way, and I still have no cold air. I only used about half a can and it put the pressure in the blue zone even though I had no pressure to begin with. The compressor stays turned on but I'm not getting any cold air. Any ideas?

Arctic-Rodz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my a/c sux too. The air is just fresh, not cold. Im gonna have to give this a shot. Is there a way to tell if theres a leak with the guage that comes with the a/c "booster"??

jayman8200

Reaction score
is there any way to get the compressor to come on, my compressor isnt kicking on, i hooked thhe bottle up to the port and the pressure was about 75psi, i shook the can and everything and it still didnt kick on. is there any trick i need to do to get it on?

txhoescrapin

Our needy member :-)
Reaction score
Maybe be a bad comp... Only really 3 reasons it won't kick on is due to lack of freon, or your low pressure switch went bad or the compressor went bad. I am not a mechanic but I think I am right.

jayman8200

Reaction score
i finally got it, the kit i bought, after i connected it i had to push it in to get it to suck and once i pushed it in the compressor kicked on. i have a/c now...the guy i bought the truck from said there is a leak in the lines, but i havent had a need to use it yet so i guess i will have to find it out soon. my wife's cousin has a shop that has a dye tester and can do it for me.

Mild

Reaction score
I did this the other day actually, before reading this thread.

put in 2 pounds of the stuff, and the AC is blowing cold like brand new.

got the same kit for reusability too.....

wierd thing tho, the Rear A/C was always cold, and the front was barely cool.

any reason for that?

now its all cold though, just thought that was a little odd and worth asking about.

if the question cant go here, thats fine, just LMK.

-Robin

994door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if the compressor wont come on unplug switch at passenger fire wall and use a paper clip to jump across the terminals just make sure the switches in the truck are on. This is the low pressure cutoff switch it keep the compressor from coming on. The switch is attaches to the aluminum can usually wrapped in foam. I kinda of babbled if unsure of what i am talking about let me know i will get a pic for you

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine is bouncing from the high green down to the low blue as it cycles. Any advice on this? I don't want to keep adding and jumping the pressure way up.

Attachments

• ac-gauge.jpg
    ac-gauge.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 65

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harry26