How to recharge your AC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
ravingmadman

ravingmadman

Chief Knuckle Buster
Reaction score
Yup, keep adding pressure, Bowtie. It will even out. If it doesn't, there's a pressure relief that will pop, vent, and then you know you have another problem... But mine did this in the beginning too. Eventually the needle will just cycle within the green. Make sure you rock the can back on forth to get both gas and oil into the system as well.
:drunk:

Arctic-Rodz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did this the other day actually, before reading this thread.

put in 2 pounds of the stuff, and the AC is blowing cold like brand new.

got the same kit for reusability too.....

wierd thing tho, the Rear A/C was always cold, and the front was barely cool.

any reason for that?

now its all cold though, just thought that was a little odd and worth asking about.

if the question cant go here, thats fine, just LMK.

-Robin

Same here! my rear a/c is cold and the front is just fresh. I should try putting a can of this stuff in mine. Hope it does it. Texas summers are already being felt here. was 98 yesterday:shocked:

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Madman, thanks! I am back in business. I'll tell you though, having that 383 running with me all in the engine bay is HOT. Luckily it sucked up the cans quickly.

Arctic-Rodz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, im about to do mine... the plug ("low side service port") on mine is blue... whats up with that? does it just unscrew or just pull out?

---------- Post added at 05:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 PM ----------

ok.... did it. it is colder. i used 1 18oz can. mmmm... i feel like having a beer now

matuerob

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
need help

What if its in the red? how can you tell if it is your panel?

newmarketeod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be VERY careful with the fix-a-leak style refrigerant as well!
For 1, it can clog components of your AC system. Once this happens the pressure can build up and rupture an AC line. (Not Fun!)
And 2, if there is any mention of the stop leak stuff in your system alot of shops wont touch your AC because it can ruin their equipment.

KPOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bumping an old thread I know :worship:

My AC was blowing real warm, as in no cool at all. Popped the hood, went to recharge and I see the cap on the low pressure valve is missing. I go to replace the cap, and it also comes with a schrader valve from Advance Auto Parts. I go to empty in a tank of R134, and once I do, I remove the can from the fill port and all the R134 comes spraying back out (this is while the AC is on, the compressor would kick on, and off like it wasn't getting enough R134) which leads me to think the schrader valve is leaking. So, I go to replace it, take a look in there, and notice the current one is almost completely deformed. The special tool is not going to get it out. So, my next option is to replace the piece that it is in. Does anyone know if I can replace just the part I have boxed in blue, and what it would be called? It appears it just screws into the bigger piece, so I'm assuming it is a replaceable part.

935042_10200370989378147_12673175_n_zps46ba1f9c.gif

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a 1996 Tahoe. I can't remember now exactly...... but even from the picture you posted........... it does not look like that piece is serviceable.

It may be be threaded in, but I don't think so. Does it look like a wrench could be placed on it? Usually line set themselves are not service able

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts