How to program new key and fob + WTB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tsuintx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess you can buy the key and the fob where ever, but you need a dealer or a locksmith that has the necessary equipment to program them. IIRC, 2011 and up, I think is made so that you can not do it yourself.

sennister

Reaction score
I have a 2011 Denali and went through this. Keys are easy and you can do it provided the 14 is the same as my 11. I went to the dealer and had 3 keys cut but they were $30 a pop because they are chipped. Personally I like 4 keys, 2 main ones with fobs then 2 spares. I keep on key hidden in the garage for moving vehicles. To program these do the following.

1. Insert an existing programmed working key into the ignition cylinder.

2. Turn ignition to the ON position for 5 seconds, then back to OFF position.

3. Remove the existing key and within 5 seconds insert new key and turn
it to the ON positiion for 5 seconds.

4. Turn key OFF then back to ON. The key is now programmed.
Start vehicle to test key.

The key fob however is a different story. Unless you have a fleet Tahoe or Impala, as of model year 2011 you have to have a Tech 2 programmer to program a new fob.

sennister

Reaction score
I should add that I have read that some lock smiths can program key fobs. Maybe try and call around to see who has the best price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BenK