How to: NBS master cylinder swap for firm brake pedal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

saif najd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your mechanic does not want to buy? Why not?

No the market or the dealers they don't want to buy new parts! They are selling old parts I have no idea why but for sure someone is making good amount of money out of this!

The known spare parts shops they hate me now because I found out this secret and some of them refused to sell me or deal with me

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

saif najd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They might be seeing the trends where you live changing and are trying to monopolize the money from it.

True, unfortunately the people who control this market (auto spare parts market) have one concept only "fake nock off parts" only

And they are very good at it!!

nomad

Reaction score
Saga Continues

Nak, thought I give you an update, after about 1/2 gallon on brake fluid, 1 new obs mc, $195.00 tools and parts(pressure bleed an MC replacement) the brakes are decent. Notice I said decent, not spectacular.

What was interesting was I could not find a shop that would actually do a true "pressure bleed". I had some that told me a pressure bleed was actually a 2 man pedal push bleed rather than pressuring the MC. I did have one shop that knew what I talking about and said they could to it but when I drove over and asked to see the mc pressure adapter they said "we have to find it".

After having a good friend of mine (who is a master machinist) make me one we must have bled it 10 times with no real difference. Next, new obs mc and tried again. This time the results were better and the pedal was better. It did take a combination of cycling the abs unit (using the tech 2) in coordination with the pressure bleed.

Test now have the rears locking up a split second sooner then the fronts. (like you mentioned because of the dual servo and prop valve).

Since I know the "code" I need for the prop/combi valve going to visit some junk yards to see it I can find one. Otherwise drop another $150. to order one.

Though the brakes are better then they were I still believe the ultimate solution is hydroboost.

For now its ok but when I finally stumble across a complete hydroboost setup say byebye to the vacuum setup.

Dan

Last edited:

nomad

Reaction score
God gives the squirl an accorn in the form of a hydroboost setup

Looks like the junk yard gods rewarded me today, finally after at least a dozen trips to the salvage yard I found a complete JD7 Hydroboost system with MC and ABS unit, correct prop/combi valve, brake pedal, lines and a bonus, powersteering cooler and all the lines!

Snagged it out of a 2000 OBS Escalade. Seems the caddy met with an early death and was rolled but the parts I needed looked really good. I was lucky to find this score, the truck had just been put out in the yard a few days earlier.

Probably the worst part of the job was removing the brake pedal. Speedo was already gone so I have no idea on the mileage on the parts. I am considering trying to get a rebuild kit for the hydroboost unit. Looking at the shop manual it doesn't seem like a big deal to do so. Bottom line is if there is a decent rebuild kit available.

I will post as the project proceeds!
Dan:happy3:

hydroboost1.jpg

Last edited:

saif najd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow lucky you!

I wish I could get the ABS setup as good and clean as yours

Nak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like the junk yard gods rewarded me today, finally after at least a dozen trips to the salvage yard I found a complete JD7 Hydroboost system with MC and ABS unit, correct prop/combi valve, brake pedal, lines and a bonus, powersteering cooler and all the lines!

Snagged it out of a 2000 OBS Escalade. Seems the caddy met with an early death and was rolled but the parts I needed looked really good. I was lucky to find this score, the truck had just been put out in the yard a few days earlier.

Probably the worst part of the job was removing the brake pedal. Speedo was already gone so I have no idea on the mileage on the parts. I am considering trying to get a rebuild kit for the hydroboost unit. Looking at the shop manual it doesn't seem like a big deal to do so. Bottom line is if there is a decent rebuild kit available.

I will post as the project proceeds!
Dan:happy3:

:waytogo:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomase1269

Latest posts